Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Australian Security Worker

Return to Website Recent Posts HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterBroadcast Message to Admin(s)  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
K9 Harness (Read 13653 times)
Reply #12 - 17. Aug 2010 at 15:49

davidthedogman   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite

Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Try www.Tripleb.com.au they supply Police and the service dog industry.Quote:
Ex-Security2011 wrote on 19. May 2010 at 20:52:
I'd still control my boy with a collar and leash. A harness just makes it easier to control a dog in confined spaces and gives it some visibility.

i dont think harness have any place on a patrol dog in the security industry .Even for man tracking ,article searches and building searches (how many security patrol dogs can track)the use of a harness is a toss . Just watch any police service dog when he sees a harness , he lights up and wants to track , try getting that response from police dog with a standard collar . Watch a sch 111 tracking trial , 99% of the dogs dont use a harness .
As for making the easier to control in confined spaces , work on your control and conditioning the dog to feel confidant is tight space well before chucking him in one . in short control control control 

99% of Sch dogs do not pursuit track anyway.  I can cook a roast dinner by the time they do 1km.....   A harness is an essentiel tool for tracking, it is the single most important switch for the dog....

Again contact me off forum I am happy to help anyone whom wants it.

Also whats the point of a Security dog if it cannot find the bad guy on the site?????   This is tracking..

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 17. Aug 2010 at 15:46

davidthedogman   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite

Try www.Tripleb.com.au they supply Police and the service dog industry.

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 20. May 2010 at 09:23

Ex-Security2011   Offline
High Level Contributor

k9handler wrote on 20. May 2010 at 06:47:
Dont care what any other so called handler does

Wow, heated response there!  Huh

Mate, I've never used a harness; however it has been recommended by both our Industry Member Company and our training provider that the dogs either wear a harness or a vest. I'm just asking if anyone else has had experience using either for patrol work.

k9handler wrote on 20. May 2010 at 06:47:
And the three days in a class room doing those core units they are not really that hard.

The core units are easy for a guard with some experience in the industry. Dunno who you did yours through; but my RTO was pretty stringent with the RPL evidence requirements.

Quote:
As for making the easier to control in confined spaces , work on your control and conditioning the dog to feel confidant is tight space well before chucking him in one . in short control control control 

We're not using ours to track. Detection of intruders and building searches are our primary concerns. When I said 'confined spaces' I was meaning narrow hallways and aisles, plus crowded situations where a handler needs to control not just the head of the dog.

Jason, can I ask what experience you have in the industry? It's interesting to get other peoples' perspectives on dog handling. There's not that many of us in the industry anymore  Undecided

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 20. May 2010 at 07:17
jason   Guest

Ex-Security2011 wrote on 19. May 2010 at 20:52:
I'd still control my boy with a collar and leash. A harness just makes it easier to control a dog in confined spaces and gives it some visibility.

i dont think harness have any place on a patrol dog in the security industry .Even for man tracking ,article searches and building searches (how many security patrol dogs can track)the use of a harness is a toss . Just watch any police service dog when he sees a harness , he lights up and wants to track , try getting that response from police dog with a standard collar . Watch a sch 111 tracking trial , 99% of the dogs dont use a harness .

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 20. May 2010 at 06:47

k9handler   Offline
High Level Contributor

Dont care what any other so called handler does but a harness is not for patrols only for tracking. And the three days in a class room doing those core units they are not really that hard.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 20. May 2010 at 03:03

High Level Contributor

VAST Academy in Penrith: http://www.vastacademy.com.au/

If you can prove (Resume, SOP's, letter from employer, etc) that you have worked dogs under the old pre-2007 1ABC licence system, they will RPL you.

You need to do the core units for 3 days in the classroom:

PRSSO301A Prepare and present security documentation
PRSSO302A Maintain a safe workplace and environment
PRSSO303A Determine response to security risk situation
BSBFLM302A Support leadership in the workplace
PRSSO305A Manage conflict through negotiation
PRSSO306A Maintain effective workplace relationships
PRSSO307A Maintain own workperformance and development
PRSSO308A Coordinate a quality security service to customers
PRSSO309A Maintain security of environment

Then go through the RPL process for the Elective:

PRSSO314A Handle dogs for security patrol

Plus you'll need 2 more electives for a full Cert III to be issued.

I used the Bodyguard unit and the Defensive Tactics unit for the electives, so now I've got 1ABCDG/2D and waiting for my 1F to come through  Huh

Good luck  Cool

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 19. May 2010 at 22:41
G.   Guest

Hi all

Can anyone advise who (RTO) in NSW or anywhere else via post, will provide RPL for the unit PRSS0313A Handle Dogs for Security Patrol?  Whilst I am an unconditional NSW Security licence holder with former k9 experience, I do not currently hold the 1D licence and would prefer not to go through the P1 process to get this licence.

Thanks.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 19. May 2010 at 20:52

High Level Contributor

Quote:
any one who works a dog on the street in a harness is asking for trouble , you have zero control over the dog head and thus can not direct the body part it hits or control its head in a crowd

Anyone who works a dog ONLY on a harness is looking for trouble Shocked

Funnily enough my P-Plate guards were recommended to get one by their workplace assessor Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 19. May 2010 at 13:36
jason   Guest

any one who works a dog on the street in a harness is asking for trouble , you have zero control over the dog head and thus can not direct the body part it hits or control its head in a crowd

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 23. Jan 2010 at 17:32

k9handler   Offline
High Level Contributor

I get all my gear made for me. My friend has been a dog handler for over 20 years militray police and private security as well it should out
last the dog. Most of my gear i have had for five years i can help you
out if you like.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 10. Jan 2010 at 14:45

High Level Contributor

I can't find a synthetic muzzle big enough to fit our rottie, so am restricted to using a leather german one. As for leads, what all-weather brand are you using. I've always had high quality leather quick release types and found them to be long-lasting if you care for them properly.

We operate in an area that has high traffic by staff, the general public and traffic, so high visibility is kinda the point here  Roll Eyes  That said, after 10-11pm we sneak around a fair bit too, so it would come off then  Wink

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 09. Jan 2010 at 16:52

k9handler   Offline
High Level Contributor

A harness should only be used for tracking not for partols.
I use all weather gear for my dogs police partol leads etc
with all weather collars and leads it drys out quick when wet.
Leather only sweats.

As for the security reflective stripes a bit over kill i have a security
dog vest never used it. But its up to the handler i would rather not
be seen. Smiley

IP Logged

09. Jan 2010 at 16:24

High Level Contributor

Hi

Does anyone use a harness for their working dog? I'm looking at these for ours: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290371068080&ssPageName=ST...

I like the handle, optional 'Security' lettering, reflective stripes and the torch holder  Smiley

Any thoughts?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print