Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Australian Security Worker

Return to Website Recent Posts HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterBroadcast Message to Admin(s)  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Pride Services Group (Read 37475 times)
Reply #8 - 25. May 2010 at 10:12

Administrator   Offline
Administrator
Dob in a Dodgy Operator
Australia

Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Drew

This is a quote from Treads in another post:

Quote:
I'm not sure about the laws in other states;  but in NSW it is illegal for someone to subcontract as an individual unless they hold an Individual Masters Licence, Industry membership and their own PL insurance

The requirement to be licenced as a security company in Queensland is if you employ other guards.   If the licencing laws were tightened up similiar to NSW then it would have an effect on who could legally tender for work and who could sub-contract.

If you are a member of ASIAL then push for them to lobby government to tighten up on the laws governing licencing.   Have ASIAL educate security clients on what is a good deal and what is not.

This website gets read by people over Australia in proportion to the population in the cities and towns.   This forum is filled with complaints of underpayment and shoddy operators from mainly Queensland.   So the question has to be asked why Queensland.

The question can be partly answered by looking up the yellow pages for security services for Queensland:

http://www.yellowpages.com.au/search/listings?clue=security+guards+%26+patrol+ag...

And then put a sample through the Queensland Fair Trading Licence check facility:

http://www.fairtrading.qld.gov.au/are-you-licensed.htm

I did a large sample and found roughly 47% of those listed as supplying patrol services and guarding were not licenced.   When I approached Fair Trading about this, they told me that a firm needed to be licenced if they employed guards.   I got the impression that they did not run checks on security firms, and it was voluntary process for a firm to request to be licenced.

A problem with the industry is that the client is oblivious as to whether the service he is paying for is actually being performed.   Loggers verify whether a patrol has visited the site but whether secuity checks have been made is contentious.   With static guards the only way is to personally check on them in the early hours of the morning.

A shoddy operator can operate with out much supervision for many months or years until some audit is made either personally or from an incident on site.   The operator loses the contract if found to be underperforming, and the client goes looking for another cheap contractor.

It all starts with the mid sized ethical security companies to push for change, otherwise the industry work gets fought over by small operators trying to cut each other out of contracts.   Mid-sized security companies have the most to lose out of this.

Ah! Working in Security where finding the real thief could be your employer. Now is the time to check your super account.
IP Logged

Reply #7 - 25. May 2010 at 03:52

Drew   Offline
High Level Contributor
What's the best in the
world at your job doing
now
Brisbane

Pride Security Installations is the company you are thinking of K9handler.

We are Pride Services Group. Our team comprises of approx 35 people directly.

We pay in accordance with our Certified Agreement. (above). It was passed through Industrial relations and was subject to the fairness test.

The whole reason why we even put together an agreement was so we could tender on projects that were longer than a year. The agreement was drawn up by Peter Eather who used to run the Security Division of the Union and voted on by my employees.

There is always so much controversy on how much the increase will be each year and tenders (government included) require us to tender and put in prices for subsequent years.

We would like to be much larger than we currently are but we are finding that due to employees having the willingness to flat rate for $15.00 - $23.00 per hour to be casual employees with no penalties and workcover and putting their houses at risk without public liability it is meaning that we are not competative in the marketplace.

I recently tendered on a job and went in at $34.45 per hour + GST (it was nights and twenty four hours on weekends) and were the highest tenderer on the job. We were only going to make $3.00 per hour for admin and profit.

The successful tenderer was at $28.00 per hour + GST

The lowest tenderer was $25.00 per hour + GST

My labour costs were higher than the successful tenderer.

The old addage of "If you can't beat them join" them does not apply with Pride Services Group. We will never compromise our integrity to run with the rat race.

K9handler, I am sorry that you dismiss all companies as being shonky.

I have run the following companies and whilst i was in control none of them were or are shonky

*Prestige Property Services (State Mgr Qld) (bought by Tempo (ISS))
*Securecorp (State Mgr Qld)
*Pickwick Group (State Manager Qld)

I am now the owner of Pride Services Group. We started in 2007.

I do not know the circumstance of any Dog handling companies in Queensland in relation to pay rates, I am sure there is at least one company that pays correctly.

I wish you all the best of luck in finding a company that you feel that you are being rewarded financially and treated well in your chosen discipline.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 23. May 2010 at 11:14

Administrator   Offline
Administrator
Dob in a Dodgy Operator
Australia

Drew

Found the certified agreement.   It is registered as the Pride Security Collective Agreement.   It expires on 1 July 2011.

Employer legal name: Pride Services Group Pty Ltd
Date of lodgement: 2/05/2008   Agreement number: 084860726

View it at: http://ca.workplaceauthority.gov.au/docs/CAs/CAEN084860726.pdf

Ah! Working in Security where finding the real thief could be your employer. Now is the time to check your super account.
IP Logged

Reply #5 - 21. May 2010 at 13:03

k9handler   Offline
High Level Contributor

I think pride only do alarm systems and monitor them dont they?

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 21. May 2010 at 12:43

Administrator   Offline
Administrator
Dob in a Dodgy Operator
Australia

Drew

Quote:
We had our certified agreement passed through industrial relations without any changes needed to be made.

I cannot find any evidence of this certified agreement registered with Fair Work Australia using your company name and ABN.

Is there any other reference I might use to uncover this agreement?

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 21. May 2010 at 06:39

k9handler   Offline
High Level Contributor

I have worked in security since 1988 private and government departments. I dont really want to work for my self as most of the so called security companies charge $25 or less not worth it.

So how many staff do you have and what are they being paid?

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 21. May 2010 at 01:09

Drew   Offline
High Level Contributor
What's the best in the
world at your job doing
now
Brisbane

I am saddened for you that you have not been able to get work for a company that has satisfied you.

If you feel that there are no companies that you feel meet the standards that you exude or expect then it would be my recommendation that you start your own company and show the clients that you can provide the service yourself with like minded people.

It is very easy for you to make a sweeping statement like you have, I used to hold such negative thoughts. (20 years in the industry across two states) but i took a long hard look at myself and realised that i was not looking after the companies that i worked for, i made an effort to change my ways and started to reap the benefits through a progression path.

I used to feel that i have been very lucky to be in the position that i am in. But it's funny that the harder i have worked, the luckier that i have become.

I cannot speak for other companies but i can speak for my company. We value every employee that works for our company, and we have found that by treating our employees with respect, they treat our clients, other security officers and our management staff with respect.

A quote that comes to mind is one by Mother Teresa.

If everyone would clean their own doorstep, the whole world would be clean.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 20. May 2010 at 06:40

k9handler   Offline
High Level Contributor

Its hard for all guards to stop working for shonky companies. If they did there would be no security companies working.

THERE ARE NO GOOD SECURITY COMPANIES TO WORK FOR

IP Logged

19. May 2010 at 16:43

Drew   Offline
High Level Contributor
What's the best in the
world at your job doing
now
Brisbane

Pride Services Group welcomes discussions in relation to our company, both good and bad. We do however hope that the things written are true and correct.

Pride Services Group was formed in 2007 because we recognise that there were difficiencies in the Security Industry in Queensland.

We are not as big as we want to be but we are proud of our achievements.

We still have nine of our first ten employees working for us. We are very loyal to our employees.

We have not grown at the rate that we have wished due to companies awarding contracts to security companies at 30% less than it costs me to pay my security officers.

We had our certified agreement passed through industrial relations without any changes needed to be made.

In twenty years in the security industry i have worked for major companies and none of these whilst under my stewardship or due to my stewardship have had any industrial issues.

Due to the dynamics of Patrol Services it is impossible to have all vehicles leaving from the one base in Brisbane as some would not reach the area of coverage for up to an hour after commencement. This means a potential of two hours lost each shift.

Pride Services Group does use subcontractors for it's Patrol Services. All subcontractors are Pty Ltd companies and they have the ability to employ any persons that they see fit. They are able (and we encourage) to hold their own contracts. We do not want them to rely on us in order for their business to flourish. They all hold their own Public Liability and Security Provider's licence.

If anyone has feedback in relation to Pride Services Group that is of a negative nature please feel free to email me at prideservicesgroup@bigpond.com

We welcome people's being critical of us as it is a way in which we can learn and improve. Being an owner of a Security company is hard work and does not make me a millionaire (people always seem to think that cause you own a company you are rich). We make mistakes as company owners just like employees make mistakes.

Companies that are deliberately doing things wrong may get their day in the sun but eventually it will catch up on them.

I started Pride Services Group with $10,000 and a lot of dreams and aspirations. With a lot of perspiration we are where we are today.

Please don't try to denegrade what my employees and I have built without having your facts correct. I wouldn't slander any employee who has left my company just because there may be a forum that i might be able to hide behind.

If all of the Security Officers would stop working (at the same time) for shonky companies for one week it would change the industry.

Maybe then i would start to win more contracts and start to pay higher than the award as i believe that the award should be the lowest people should be paid and not the ceiling.

Yours in security

Drew Paternoster
Director
Pride Services Group Pty Ltd

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print