Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Australian Security Worker

Return to Website Recent Posts HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterBroadcast Message to Admin(s)  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
Pride Services Group (Read 36209 times)
Reply #53 - 08. Aug 2011 at 21:48

Administrator   Offline
Administrator
Dob in a Dodgy Operator
Australia

Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Off-Topic replies have been moved to this Topic.

Ah! Working in Security where finding the real thief could be your employer. Now is the time to check your super account.
IP Logged

Reply #52 - 11. Mar 2011 at 15:57

Drew   Offline
High Level Contributor
What's the best in the
world at your job doing
now
Brisbane

Fact Finder,

You are probably right, I do need to get out more, I probably need to forget about a few things too.

If you are who I think you are then you have worked for me in a past life and you know first hand that i support my security operative 100% sometimes to my detriment.

I remember backing up a guard working for me who was accused of racking up $1000 in phone sex lines using a plug point at a fruit shop, later i was told that the guard had actually made the phone calls. You may remember this one, it cost us the site due to my backing of that guard.....

People who work for me enjoy a 100% commitment and support until proven otherwise. I only employ people who I am confident in their abilities.

You can question my abilities in hiring staff, I have made a few errors in the past, but not in this instance. Both Sean and Brad are quality staff, with wonderful customer service skills. My client believes in their abilities, other staff on site believe in their abilities, the public have only positive feedback in relation to their delivery of their duties, they turn up early for all shifts, wear uniform with pride, constantly patrol for the whole duration of their shift, do not sleep on shift and they hold the necessary paperwork in order to hold a security licence that includes dog handling. I am proud to say that they represent my company.

My only concerns is that someone hiding behind the name "fact finder" wants to come on here and discredit individuals.

It is bad enough that companies get the raw end of the stick sometimes on this forum but when it sinks to discredit individuals guards it sinks to a new low, the purpose of this forum is to assist the individual guard not make a personal attack of them. This forum is to protect the individual, champion the worker.

The people that you discredit are blokes in the field, level 1 guards, why??, because they want to help fellow guards with advice free of charge, impart experience to fellow security officers.

They are not on here selling their wares, seanimac has never professed to being an expert on dog handling. He is just a guy that has been out there in the weather pounding the pavement with dog by his side. Does he have opinions - yes - are his opinions always right - no - Is he a genuine bloke - bloody oath!!!!!

IP Logged

Reply #51 - 11. Mar 2011 at 09:18
Luke P.   Guest

Dont know about these blokes mentioned but good for a giggle bloke gets an answer he doesnt like so attacks people personally all using an alias .Funny shit look forward to more of his posts very entertaining.

IP Logged

Reply #50 - 11. Mar 2011 at 03:32
arthur   Guest

Looks to me like Sean and Drew have a stalker. Cool

IP Logged

Reply #49 - 10. Mar 2011 at 18:51
Fact Finder   Guest

Hi Drew

Simply stating, If they're what you think are champion dog handlers....you need to get out more !. Lucky they're not at a site where they have to act and engage their dogs, your going to get assulted dog walkers but hey....they impress you and thats the main thing. Goodluck.

IP Logged

Reply #48 - 10. Mar 2011 at 15:07

Drew   Offline
High Level Contributor
What's the best in the
world at your job doing
now
Brisbane

I have seen my handlers working with their dogs and they are professional with their dogs and also professional with their customer service.

The site is not a hard core site, customer focus is paramount.

I feel that i have employed champions in ther field, the client only has positive feedback in relation to our handlers.

If you have a personal account of what you have personally witnessed where one of my employee's has done something that is not in both my client's or my company's interest please feel free to share.

Did you work for Prestige Property Services in a past life Fact Finder.

IP Logged

Reply #47 - 09. Mar 2011 at 17:43
Fact Finder   Guest

Hi drew

Didn't mean to get you cranky, but....., Have you seen these 2 handlers work their dogs??, Don't get sucked in at so called dog handlers supplying you with training papers.

And Sean, if your who i think you are (a holden rodeo worker who works at H.W with another by the initial B.C) You really shoudn't comment on here about dog handling work and security procedures.

My apoligies if i'm wrong.

IP Logged

Reply #46 - 08. Mar 2011 at 19:12

Drew   Offline
High Level Contributor
What's the best in the
world at your job doing
now
Brisbane

I have two dog handlers working for me both of which I would consider to be leaders in their field.

I have had two other dog handlers work for me since i started to provide my own dog handlers and i am quite happy to provide both with work into the future and if i had more dog handling work they would be working for me now.

I am sorry to disappoint you fact finder but there is no smoking gun here. The dog handlers are not required to sign the register, if they have signed it it has purely been to sign on to say they were there. Nothing illegal here sorry........

IP Logged

Reply #45 - 08. Mar 2011 at 18:36

Seaniemac   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite
Brisbane

Hi Fact finder mate you have missed the mark big time Pride currently has only 2 dog handlers myself and another.I really hesitate to respond when you cant even give your real name? All persons employed in this capacity are licensed for appropriate functions performed and are Fair Trading compliant.Both dog handlers have trained dogs with documented on going training.well as for registers we answer to Fair Trading just like anyone else.YOU NEED TO GET A NEW SOURCE OF INFO MATE. Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #44 - 08. Mar 2011 at 15:26
Fact finder   Guest

Hi Drtew

Why do you have (so called) dog handlers working crowd controll with NO crowd control licence??, they sign a crowd control register to perform dog handling work,mmmm, please correct me if i'm wrong.

IP Logged

Reply #43 - 30. Dec 2010 at 15:07

Administrator   Offline
Administrator
Dob in a Dodgy Operator
Australia

The last 4 Posts were moved here from QLD Security Contractors N to Z by Administrator.

Ah! Working in Security where finding the real thief could be your employer. Now is the time to check your super account.
IP Logged

Reply #42 - 30. Dec 2010 at 14:45

Drew   Offline
High Level Contributor
What's the best in the
world at your job doing
now
Brisbane

In my meeting with Dave the dogman he expressed to me that by coming on this forum i am trying to come across as holy as thou.

My thought process on this is that I hope that i do not come across as a know it all and that i am perfect in any way.

Actually my presence on this forum is to show the exact opposite. It is to show that being a business owner and willing to wear your heart on your sleeve can work hand in hand.

By putting myself out there, i am more likely to be open to critics, this i am prepared for. Over twenty years in the industry there is bound to be persons that do not like me (I know quite a few) and if they have legit issues with me I welcome them to come on here and bag me out.

Constructive critisism is welcomed and it is how i can develop Pride Services to be the best company to work for and to have people wanting to work with us. If i can attract the best people it will give me an edge on my competition.

If i can make Pride a company that everyone who wears the uniform  is proud to work for then customers will be the main benefactor.

I don't demand perfection from my people, they are humans and make mistakes (I probably am up there amongst the worst transgressors), I just want them to enjoy the experience of working for the company and never feel that they are a number in the system. I feel that if i show the respect to people the way i would like to be treated, they will shine for Pride Services Group when they wear their uniform.

I believe in leadership without a title, if everyone shows up to work each day and puts in their best performance then the company will have the success it deserves and everyone involved will have a greater feeling of self worth.

Some people laugh at the notion of being nice and decent and noble. They think it is a sign of weakness. Nope it is a sign of strength. What takes guts is to not complain, condemn or take the path of least resistence, but to stand for something higher, to behave greater and to be of service to others.

Sorry for ranting but this is a big topic for me. I'll be the first to tell you that i am far from perfect. But i do my best to do the right thing. I hold myself to a standard far higher than anyone could expect from me. Do i always get it right? No. Am I always at peace and without anger? No. I try each day but i slip sometimes.

It does not mean that i do not expect my collegues to perform at high standards. It does not mean that i do not set boundries and get tough when I have to. Showing leadership isn't about being liked by all. It is about doing what's right. And what's good.

IP Logged

Reply #41 - 29. Dec 2010 at 20:26

davidthedogman   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite

Shane thankyou.  My aim has been to clean things up.  I like many others have been in this industry for a long time.  I worked out a long time ago it is not a good idea to sook and whinge, but you have to put it on the line.

I have been very pro active in the transport industry for some time, doing video's on safety and fatigue ( oztruckintv ) on you tube.

I have for the past year been training handlers on the correct methods of K9 deployment and handler safety survivability, at no cost.

These are not things i have made up, but what I have learn't over the years.  I have just put it together in a connected way.

I offer this and my time free of charge, just to raise the bar for doggies, and our professionalism.

Dave

IP Logged

Reply #40 - 29. Dec 2010 at 19:28

Shane   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite
Brisbane

Drew is a good man probably one of the best in the industry. He runs his business and treats his workers how he himself would like to be treated, the pay is above award and ALWAYS on time. I would be happy to recommend him or his company to any potential client or colleague.

I am glad you met him face to face Dave, there are alot of gutless beings that are nothing but 'keyboard warriors' This is a good forum and everyone has the opportunity to change the industry, signing up here expressing your opinion and exposing those doing the wrong thing is the first step towards achieving something great.  Smiley

Thanks and Regards
Shane
IP Logged

Reply #39 - 29. Dec 2010 at 16:16

davidthedogman   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite

Over the last couple of days I have vented a little on matters of fatigue and payment.  I have mentioned the name Pride Security in some of my rants.

Well today I met with Drew, he took the time to drive down my way, we had a chat and a coffee.  I will not back away from what I stated except this.

My comments were for the wider industry and Pride was drawn into this.  I would like to offer my unreserved apology to Drew and any member of Pride Security from comments which may have been misinterpreted.

This was not my intention.

Now for me this was a first in my 12 plus years, to have a person meet and chat about the events of our posts to each other.  I must say if Drew and his company are the example of the future other companies need to be worried, his attitude and approach / passion are 2nd to none.

I must applaud his transparency in running his business, at least his company have made the effort.  Now Drew did not have to drive and hour from where he lived but he did.

Thankyou Drew.  I am happy to add you to my ph list...

Dave

IP Logged

Reply #38 - 04. Nov 2010 at 17:47

Seaniemac   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite
Brisbane

Have now worked for Drew for 2 weeks now aa a dog handler (about wich I am very passionate).He has so far provided everything he promised in regards to employment and conditions plus some.I wish all companys I have worked for previously had been this good to work for.I  to am proud to wear the Pride uniform and hopefully will be for years to come. Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #37 - 04. Nov 2010 at 16:21

Drew   Offline
High Level Contributor
What's the best in the
world at your job doing
now
Brisbane

Pride Services Group has only recently started employing some Dog Handlers to look after a couple of sites that we had in the past subcontracted.

In relation to rates for Dog Handlers we currently pay the small amount of handlers that we have (but a very capable select team) the following rates

$25.72 Night
$26.11 Sat
$34.25 Sun
$42.38 P/Hol

All these rates are inclusive of allowance.

All of our rates are outlined in our Certified Agreement which an address to find it online is outlined under Pride Services Group in the N-Z Section. They have been critisied by some and applauded by others on this forum, but I have never had an employee leave due to the pay rates.

Our main areas that we cover is Static Guarding, Patrol Services and Crowd Control. We have about 100 people that proudly wear our uniform.

Thank your friend for the kind words that he has mentioned about my company. We do try to treat our employees as work collegues rather that employer/employee. I am a firm beliver that everyone can show leadership without title. Treating Guards with the same respect as clients is the ethos of Pride Services Group. When it comes down to it it is a combination of management and the guards  that help you gain and maintain clients.

This is something that in the industry is often forgotten.

Drew

IP Logged

Reply #36 - 04. Nov 2010 at 01:38
Infodogy   Guest

Hi I was wondering if any one on here works for pride services group and are they good to work for.
And drew I know u will read this when u come across it have a few questions for u. I hade a mate from the sun shine coast tell me about u Guys he said u were worth looking into to go work for. He dosnt work with u guys but has herd good things. His a dog handler/ trainer.iv seen a couple of ur post and take it u r a dogy company or do u guys do a bit of everything? Was all so wondering if u would tell me what ur hourly rate is? Have another mate that says ur looking for some dog handlers ATM so that's y I'm asking. Hope u reply to this what iv heard u sound like a good company.

IP Logged

Reply #35 - 08. Nov 2010 at 00:29

Drew   Offline
High Level Contributor
What's the best in the
world at your job doing
now
Brisbane

Pride Services Group will be paying Public Holiday rates for Crowd Control Work for New Years eve from 1800hrs, Not just from midnight.

We feel that in order to attract the best people to work New Years Eve for our company it is best to look after them financially. I have always thought that it is silly that the public holiday rates kick in after midnight.

We will have a situation where we need additional staff during this peak period. Probably an additional 20 - 30.

If you feel that you are of exceptional character, present well and have good communication skills (of course current security licence, crowd controllers and RSA is also required) and you wish to work for Pride Services Group please feel free to send your resume to;

prideservicesgroup@bigpond.com

If you do not wish to be a team player with a common goal or you do not have impeccible integrity please don't waste your own or my time by applying.

I wish to be upfront with applicants that there may not be ongoing work for all after the silly season. At the same time i can also say that we will do everything that we can to maintain the best applicants working for our company.

Thank you gents for your kind words about Pride Services Group. It is words like these that assist to keep me focused on what I am trying to achieve.

To all current staff, yes that means you too, was going to keep it a secret and surprise you all in your pays but if i don't clarify it now then you may think that i am just going to pay new staff.

Yours in Security

Drew Paternoster
Pride Services Group

IP Logged

Reply #34 - 07. Nov 2010 at 16:30

securedgeek   Offline
New Contributor
Workers Unite
Brisbane

Recently Pride and integral merged and I have found Pride to be very good to its employers, my hours have increased dramatically as I have asked, and other in the company that want fewer hours are also looked after.
Drew came and met us all personally to find out what each of us were after from our jobs and got to know us. I fear I may call him too much, but he is always there to help out. He also takes into consideration the lack of transport I am currently suffering from and takes that into consideration when offering me shifts. He seems more than willing to help his guards out, while maintaining a high degree of integrity with all of his clients. His pay rate is also better than some of my previous employers. For as long as I am looked after, I will try to look after his company by showing respect to clients, doing the job properly and with integrity, and inviting other people to look at his work as he truly puts pride into his work.
The only thing I can say that I find to be a low point is the late notice on some shifts, but alas it is to be expected as break-ins aren't to a schedule.
I have worked with 4 companies in the past 5 years of security, doing sites, bars, static, and some bodyguarding. Also working in some areas I communicate with other guards and discuss work. I found Pride to be the best as there are NO pubs/nightclubs, the owner is willing to look after you, the owner is willing to know you, and most importantly the owner has integrity to stand up for himself and guards for as long they they stand up and help him by doing what they are employed to do.
If everyone from shonky security groups DID stop working for a week, I would still have shifts, as I work for one of the good groups.

IP Logged

Reply #33 - 20. Oct 2010 at 08:33

Seaniemac   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite
Brisbane

I have recently comenced work for Pride as a dog handler and would rate the company so far with been in the top 3 that I have worked,good ethics,organised and proffesional and I have worked for most of the major dog companys at one stage or another(never been fired from a security job)I think  Pride will be a major player in years to come.Watch this space. Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #32 - 16. Jun 2010 at 18:08
Tired   Guest

As I have previously said to you Drew it takes a lot of courage to come on a forum use your real name and your buisness name to be forensicaly analysed by everyone.Mate the guy posting could be your main opposition in your field.Drew I personally believe anyone that tries to do  the right thing as it appears you do cant go too wrong.as it sounds like you are constantly analysing,evaluating and evolving your buisness and also ethically.This is your point of difference you might not win every contract or even the majority of contracts but you will be able to sleep at night,wich doesnt sound like much but is a big thing.And contracts based on a price point rather than a service of delivery point are contracts that a quality company would not want anyway.There is no better feeling for a buisness person when a regulatory body turns up to audit you and you can look them in the eye and say come in I have nothing to hide.Drew I like many others on this site I think probably respect you for your courage and ethical stance in what can be a very unethical industry.Mate keep up the good work! Smiley

IP Logged

Reply #31 - 15. Jun 2010 at 23:06

Drew   Offline
High Level Contributor
What's the best in the
world at your job doing
now
Brisbane

Argustuft, Spike and Tired

I have taken the time to read through my CA from start to finish taking into account the points raised by all.

The document is not by far a perfect document. There are flaws that i agree with Argustuft are open to criticism. I take total ownership of these errors, irrespective of the industrial agent that prepared the document, I was the one that signed off on it.

When originally organising the agreement, i did read through the document thoroughly many times. But i read it with the intentions that i had to pay my staff in with "Fair Play" in mind. This has (with the benefit of hindsight) clouded my reading of it and missed the variences. It dotted the i's and crossed the t's when reading paragragh by paragragh, but when married together as a document it has not quite come together as i would have wished.

Due to my intentions of paying staff the allowances that were afforded to them under the award of the day and not to take advantage of them, i did not see the areas where there could be misinterpretation.
This is something that i will learn from and take into account into the future.

I guess what it comes down to now is the precedent of payment that we have enacted before and current to the agreement that will stand the test of time. I sleep soundly at night in relation to this. (not that i get much sleep lol).

I have never professed to be a master of industrial relations, this i am far from being. I don't think i am any more special than anyone reading this forum. I am a guy that believes in his ability and is having a go.

I concede that mistakes i make have ramifications on others (and that can be their livelihoods), this is an extreme pressure that I deal with regularly.

I came to this forum cause i read comments on other companies and about my own that are exaggerated and some downright slanderous. (not directed at the formentioned people). I guess that i look at the time and effort that i have put in towards building my company and the importance of integrity to me and have my guard up a bit to ensure that my efforts are not in vain and that my integrity can be torn down by someone with an axe to grind. I am guilty of wearing my heart on my sleeve.

In some peoples eyes they will criticise me for my mistakes, and i make mistakes every day. It is only by making mistakes that you can rise up and make some truely great decisions.

I know that it is stacked against Pride Services Group to be a force in the industry as there will be no compromise on what is fair in order to get ahead. It will take a lot longer and constant reinvention (some intevention to even the playing field would be appreciated), but we have lasted and grown through the first three years and we will continue to improve what we do to attract the best people and contracts.

IP Logged

Reply #30 - 10. Jun 2010 at 04:14

spike   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite

Argustuft

While I sympathise with your claims about being ripped off by a previous employer agreement there is no need to get personal or nasty about someone you disagree with.

There was a process that employers had to comply with for an agreement to pass the NDT, or the dodgy Fairness test.

You indicated in the past that you were a LHMU delegate and praised the union, however by all account, the LHMU failed you and the other staff by not assisting you in this matter. One can only guess you didn't consult your beloved union.

There is no way other contributers to this forum can confirm your claims as you havn't identified the Agreement you claim was faulty. Therefore one can only assume that you are telling a little porky.

You claim that you are no longer in the security industry and now have a life, may I be so bold to ask than why are you still contributing to this forum?

It's not the employers at fault hear, in fact it's the LHMU and the security officers, for if the employers had a strong oppisition, or a strong organised workforce against their agreement making than the employers would succum to the demands of security officers. Although by past expearince the LHMU is not the union for security officers.

Ok had my say now I'm off to bed after a long night.

IP Logged

Reply #29 - 09. Jun 2010 at 14:11
Tired   Guest

Being succesful in buisness has very little to do with luck.I would take informed decisions,careful planning,integrity and competency any time over luck.I can honestly say I dont think I have ever see a buisness fail due to bad luck.bad planning ,bad cashlflow and no organization yes, bad luck no!One of my favourite quotes that I beleive is true "Altitude is dtermined by attitude".Found this to be fairly true.

IP Logged

Reply #28 - 09. Jun 2010 at 10:19

Administrator   Offline
Administrator
Dob in a Dodgy Operator
Australia

When we buy a house we have a solicitor run his eye over the mortgage and contract documents to see if they are in our interests.  Failing to do so can cost us dearly for the life of the mortgage.

Now to pay off the mortgage.

When we collectively contract out our labour as employees in an Enterprise Agreement we should all get legal advice to see that the contract (and that is what it is) is in our interests.  

THEN WHY THE BLOODY HELL DON'T WE!!!  Shocked

If you are not in a union who will look after your interests then seek out an Industrial Relations Consultant.

IP Logged

Reply #27 - 09. Jun 2010 at 03:38

argustuft   Offline
Casual Contributor
Dog
Workers Unite

Continued from last post

I found out other agreements that Eather had been involved in and found similiar stories to my own from those employees. Eather's name does not appear on any of the documents and hence cannot be charged for any offence but he influenced other employers to break the law and make false declarations. He used the knowledge from being in the union to target workplaces where union membership was weak or non existant. In my mind anything that Eather has touched is tainted.

Drew have a look at the OCS agreement http://ca.workplaceauthority.gov.au/docs/CAs/CAUN06558155.pdf
It is what your agreement should have looked like - fair to all - not the crap that Eather dished up. Have a look at clause 14.11 Voluntary Extra Shifts. There is no perceived intimidation when being engaged  to signing up to do voluntary extra shifts.

I am not in the security industry anymore and have found a life. The security industry reminds me of a pond of piranas. Good luck Drew you are going to need it to stay in business. From what you have stated here and not been rebuked by any of your employees or past employees must mean that you run an ethical business.

IP Logged

Reply #26 - 09. Jun 2010 at 02:48

argustuft   Offline
Casual Contributor
Dog
Workers Unite

Drew
I do not have an issue with you personally only in your choice of employer agent when doing a collective agreement. If you cannot see my point in the wording of the agreement then take it to someone with knowledge of industrial relations law. My interpretation of the agreement is that you pay a flat rate for weekend work which is below time and a half. There is nothing in the agreement that says you have to pay weekend penalty rates of time and a half and double time.

My issue with Peter Eather goes back to when I was working for a security firm and the workchoice legislation had just come into effect. A guards were give a copy of the proposed agreement and a piece of paper which set out what should happen in the agreement process. It said we were to be given 7 days to consider the agreement and then vote on it. If the agreement had passed the vote of employees, we were to be notified that it was sent to Workplace Australia and we were to be notified that if it passed the fairness test. There had been no prior bargaining to the proposed agreement.

The proposed agreement had been poorly written and confusing. We were given the proposed agreement on the start of Friday shift and told to have our vote in by finishing on the Sunday shift which was only 2 days and over the weekend where there was the least possiblity of the employees even consulting or engaging the union or an IR consultant.

The vote was taken by paper ballot and I raised a complaint with my superior that we had not been given the full 7 days but he dismissed my complaint. We were not given the opportunity of voting for an employee representative. No employee I know of validated the voting result.

I heard nothing more and I supposed that the agreement had not passed the vote or Workplace Australia had not passed the agreement. About 4 months later our pay was changed to that below the award and I was told we were working under the agreement. Because of the bad structure of the agreement, there was no legal responsibility for the boss to give us pay rises each year.

It was against the Workplace Relations law not to give 7 days for the agreement to be considered, not to give notice of the vote, not to inform us that the agreement had passed the fairness test.

I finally managed to get a copy of the agreement from Workplace Australia and found that the boss had signed a declaration that he had given us 7 days to consider the agreement and he had complied with the agreement process. This was a false declaration. I also found out who was the employee's representative - a person I had never heard of. Giving a false declaration is a criminal offence under the Workplace Relations Act.

I decided to file a complaint with Workplace Australia and in the process found that Peter Eather was the employer representative. My complaint against my boss failed because by this time anyone on my side had left the company and the other employees did not wish to back up my complaint.

IP Logged

Reply #25 - 08. Jun 2010 at 02:33

Drew   Offline
High Level Contributor
What's the best in the
world at your job doing
now
Brisbane

Tired ans Spike, thank you for your kind words, they reinforce my metal to continue on moving forward. (I miss sometimes having a boss telling me that i am doing a good job)

I was about to shave my head to look for the numbers 666 or the reminisce of the horns that my mother must have snapped off....lol

Thank you Spike and Argustuft for your assessment of Pride Services Group's Agreement, two different opinions.

I am not across the new Security award as i don't need to for another year. I will be working my way through it in the second half of this year to get my mind across the various changes that i am sure the Government of the day has made.

To be quite honest, i was not aware that i have been paying more than the award, if this is true then that is fine as i have enjoyed the fact that i have been able to keep a consistent margin with my contracts, and have been able to guarantee three year pricing to my clients.

As stated before i was only seeking certainty of pricing by arranging the agreement in the first place, something others relying on the yearly increase fluctuations could not. This gave me a point of difference when tendering on work.

Argustuft seems to think that my reasons were to deprive workers of overtime. Of course as an employer i am trying to keep overtime to a minimum. Every dollar that is paid in overtime is a dollar off the bottom line. When we are working on very low margins (often as low as 5% profit) it means that for every worker that is getting paid $40,000 a year we are making $2000. After paying tax on that profit it leaves $1400, not much latitude for overtime there. (estimated amounts)

Argustuft, before you slam me again (as i am expecting) this is the harsh reality of the industry, it is the industry that i love and choose to be in and i am not seeking anyones sympathy just a small piece of empathy.

Some of the companies that have got the "dreaded evil" Eather agreements used to be the shonky operators that were paying flat rates on ABN. At least they have come forward to try to legitimise their operations with an agreement that is open to your scruntity rather than creeping around on the edges employing unsuspecting employees on Sham contracting arangements.

I credit you on your intellect and also on your life choices to be able to work in the industry and not seek to run a security company. It is probably the wisest decision of all. I would love to have someone paying me for the overtime that i put in.

I think i am looking forward to your responses....... lol
« Last Edit: 08. Jun 2010 at 02:46 by Drew »  
IP Logged

Reply #24 - 07. Jun 2010 at 11:44

spike   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite

Good Afternoon.

I would like to join the debate on Pride Security.

I have downloaded Pride Security Collective Agreement (CAEN 084860726) from Fair Work on line and note that it's actually not a bad agreement.

If you go clause 5.2 you will see the pay rates at present are above the Award, an I'm not too sure what the new rates are under the Modern Award will be after July, but Pride will be either equal or better. Pride will be level one @ $16.27 per hour, dog allowances $65.18, site allowances $56.82 and other allowances are above the Award.

I dont know of any other Agreements with better rate and allowances than these.

The employees at Pride have enjoyed higher wages and higher allowances than the Award since July 2009.

This agreement is still a lot better than some of the agreement assessed under the No Distavantage Test in 2009/10 by the Industrial Commissioners.

If anyone could tell me what the rates of pay and allowances for QLD will be after 1st July 2010 I would be very greatfull.

IP Logged

Reply #23 - 07. Jun 2010 at 10:01
Tired   Guest

Well stated Drew I enjoy the debate you are right it does take a brave man to get on a forum use his real and bare his soul.It is a bit one sided when only you affairs are open to scrutiny.I like many others enjoy the feedback that you provide and more people in the industry should use this forum it could become a good tool for positive change.If what you have stated is true I wish I could have worked for a company like yours back in the day instead of some of the shonks I have walked out on.At the end of the day it is the worker like the customer that vote with their feet.No one holds a gun to your head and forces you to go to work everyday as a employee you can always walk.Where as a employer you risk your finances and family as well as the well being of their families and them.The risk is all in the employers court and ethical profit is not a dirty word we live in a capitalist economy not a socialist one and if people like Drew did not take risks a lot more of us would be working for companies like ISS and just a quick side note some cleaners might be making more than you but most of us are paid more than a retail trade qualified butcher @ 19.00 an hour.I hope the open debate continues but it is always good to look at things from a few pespectives.Drew good on you it is  a hard but but higher road you have selected.Lastly I do not know or have dealings with Pride Security or Argustuft and would love to use my real name on the forum but due to potential breech of Gov.confidentiality agreements I cant. Undecided

IP Logged

Reply #22 - 07. Jun 2010 at 05:51
fearless   Guest

Hi Argustuft

I would be like to know where the LHMU was at the time. Most likely on an oversea or interstate junkets at the members expense. The Secretary spends more time overseas or interstate than in Queensland.

I know of a employer who tried to put their employees on to a new agreement equal to the award and the LHMU stuff that up.

What is your position on the union trying knock over these agreements or are they only interested in looking after cleaners, teacher aides and the Ambos. For God sake the cleaners get more pay than we do.

We need to get organised.

IP Logged

Reply #21 - 07. Jun 2010 at 01:00

Drew   Offline
High Level Contributor
What's the best in the
world at your job doing
now
Brisbane

Argustuft

The implementation process was followed within the guidelines of the day. The next agreement will also be guided by the laws and rules of the day.

As from previous posts i have expressed that we have always maintained a basis that we were seeking a win win association for all parties and some level of certainty.

There may be devil in the detail (you have spent quite a bit of time on this) but it it is how the interpretation is implemented.

Pride Services Group pays penalty rates (afternoon, night (if appliciable) Saturday, Sunday and Public Holidays, Annual Leave, Sick Leave, accrues Long Service Leave, first aid allowance (and pays for renewal to guards), workcover premiums are up to date, Superannuation to the fund of their choice and always on time.

These things are largely absent from the industry.

On one 24hr site i pay my staff at Level 4 where the site is Level 3 as they are high quality people who are very loyal so i try to look after them so i dont lose them.

I am sorry that our agreement does not meet your high standards.
Attacking my intellect seems to be an easy option to you. I am just a guy having a go and trying to support my family and the people who work for me. Security Management is summed up by "Tired" when he points out how a friend of his has a seven figure sum to invest but Security is not the option, he may have the intellect that i lack.

Pride was started with $10,000 and a hell of a lot of perspiration. 100+ hour weeks have been part and parcel of my life for the past three years. I am in a uniform more than sleepwear. In that three years we have gone from one site doing 6hr days to now having nine patrol vehicles on the road each night and guards throughout Brisbane and we turnover in excess of 2 million dollars. I now have an operations assistant and an administration manager. I am proud of my achievements and so are my family. They are the ones that see what i do day in and day out.

I have taken a chance and am having a go. I am not a millionaire and dont drive a flash car. I am trying to operate with some level of principle and ethics in an industry where these things are largely absent.

I am an idealist. I hate the fact that we have to have an agreement in place at all. I am one of few that wish that the award was not seen as a ceiling for wages but as the lowest you can be paid.

I am sure that you will find something more to say about me, if you walked a mile in my shoes, you may even take a softer approach towards me. Remember i don't have to come on this forum. I have put myself out there and am willing to face scrunity.

Some of my counterparts in the industry will be scared of from coming onto this forum by seeing that their company can be disected and they can be personally attacked even if they attempt to operate a genuine company.

I am only on here to try to evoke some positive thoughts in relation to the industry.
« Last Edit: 07. Jun 2010 at 01:09 by Drew »  
IP Logged

Reply #20 - 06. Jun 2010 at 11:29
Tired   Guest

I dont know who is right or wrong on this one but debate like this that does not drop in to a process of name calling and debated with level heads and mutual respect is good for evryone.It allows all to read and come to their own logical conclusions,wich can only be for the industry as a whole .And lets be honest if there is a industry pool that needs a bit of chlorine it is the security industry.Time for a cleansing process and to get rid of all the crap associated with the industry.I just wish I was in a position of either knowledge or power to facilitate that change.But I think all we can keep doing is lobbying government and keep exposing the sham contractors and crooks that seem to be atracted to what could be a very rewarding industry for both the people in it and there customers.But like a friend of mine said recently(He had a 7 figure sum to invest in a buisness)The only way to make a small fortune in the security industry and be legitimate is to start with a big one.This is sad as he would be a good operator but who could blame him for investing somewhere else. Sad

IP Logged

Reply #19 - 06. Jun 2010 at 09:57

argustuft   Offline
Casual Contributor
Dog
Workers Unite

Drew
Quote:
The loaded rate is the aggregated rate only used for 24hr sites with a four on four off roster. It is not used to short pay guards for duties that are performed on weekends. All security officers are paid time and one half for Saturdays, Double time for sundays and Double time and a half for public holidays.

If this was your intent then why is it not stated in the Pride Security agreement. The whole agreement when it comes to pay and penalties is ambiguous. It demonstrates the intellect level on all that signed off on the agreement. A few other questions-
1. How many days did you give employees to consider the agreement before voting on it?
2. Was the voting process transparent and how was the vote validated by the employees?
3. Did the employees vote in the Employee Representative?
4. Who was the Employee's Bargaining Agent? Don't tell me it was Eather.
Don't brag that the agreement was approved by Workplace Australia. In that period one public servant with little knowledge of the Workplace Relations Act had the power to approve agreements. Show me one agreement that did not get approved. These days an agreement must have the basis of pay and conditions of the new award and what was bargained over must be stated. It is approved by a commissioner who has full legal knowledge of the Fair Work Act. The crappy agreements during Workchoces are a thing of the past.
I noticed that the pay commission handed down a pay increase of about 4.8% last week.
My advice to you Drew is to accept the new award when your agreement expires. I am afraid your company will go the same way as some of my previous employers who I considered were fair - out of existance.
The corrupt state of the security industry in Qld is about to be exposed. ISS is about to make headlines for all the wrong reasons.
If you cannot beat them, join them and learn to speak Hindi!  Cheesy

IP Logged

Reply #18 - 01. Jun 2010 at 21:11

Drew   Offline
High Level Contributor
What's the best in the
world at your job doing
now
Brisbane

Argustuft,

I thank you for your frank assessment of our Certified agreement. I will endeavour to answer all of your questions in relation to my document. The loaded rate is the aggregated rate only used for 24hr sites with a four on four off roster. It is not used to short pay guards for duties that are performed on weekends. All security officers are paid time and one half for Saturdays, Double time for sundays and Double time and a half for public holidays. The increase per year is 3% and this was the major contributing factor for the agreement, to give a certain amount so that we could tender with the future in mind.

From what i have heard (i may be wrong) the increase that may be coming in under the new award is estimated at 2.5% thus giving my employees an additional advantage, this was the chance i had to make in order to quote on multiple year contracts.

I will get to you a full analysis of the other queries that you have made.

Still the offer is out there Argustuft for that cuppa...I may even wish to have your assistance in nutting out my next agreement and saving the consultancy fees to get a good/fair agreement in place.

Drew

IP Logged

Reply #17 - 01. Jun 2010 at 13:39

argustuft   Offline
Casual Contributor
Dog
Workers Unite

Drew
Quote:
Please feel free to go through my certified agreement and tell me the issues where i have stripped workers rights on this forum as the ones that you have said about the other companies you will find are not part of our agreement.

First of all for all those reading this, open this webpage which is the Pride Security Collective Agreement 2008 http://ca.workplaceauthority.gov.au/docs/CAs/CAEN084860726.pdf. I think it should open in another page and come back to this post.
1. Drew your agreement is confusing, can you define the clause 4.7.3. "Permanant and Part time employees (other than employees on ordinary rate)" - who are these employees and why are you paying them overtime if they work more than 12 hrs in a day (or should that read "shift")? I was under the impression that you got overtime if you worked more than 8 hrs.
2. Clause 4.7.4 says it all. What did you give your employees in return for forgoing the award overtime and shift allowances?
3. Clause 1.4.3. is the definition of Loaded Rate. Who gets this loaded rate? When is it paid? Is it the 4 day on and 4 day off roster rate or do you get paid that for working Saturday or Sunday?
4. Clause 4.8.4 deals with the Casual rate of pay. What does a casual get paid on Saturday and Sunday? Should the words "permanent rate of pay" mean "Loaded Rate".
5. Clause 4.11 Does an prospective employee have to sign a voluntary extra hours form to get the job? A way of getting rid of overtime claims? Clause 4.11.3 is the crunch clause. How would you live with yourself Drew after one of your employees kills themselves driving to or from work without sufficient rest or sleep between shifts. The only redeeming feature is that you are prepared to pay casual rates instead of normal rates which is in other agreements.
6. Section 5.2 (a) is confusing. Technically you can pay your casuals at the normal rate without the casual loading, although the casual loading is stated elsewhere in the agreement. This clause is an example of Eather's incompetence. When it says "These rates are calculated to include penalties ...." What does this mean, which rates, the ordinary rate?
7. Where is Sections 5.2 (c) and 5.2. (d) ?
8. In 5.2. (e) who are ordinary rate employees and why do they get a double up of shift penalties when 5.2. (a) says they are included?
9. The increases in the agreement payscale over the years is acceptable at about 2.8%. The Fair Pay commission handed down a 3.8% increase in 2008 and nothing in 2009 so your ordinary rate if comparative to the workplace authority pay scale is above that for 2009. But that will even up at the end of this month and you may have a pay advantage over the award.
10. Your agreement for most part is a copy of the OCS greenfield agreement except for clauses on overtime, penalties and pay which Eather tinkered around with. The OCS/LHMU agreement had legal oversight, yours did not otherwise what I have said would have been picked up by a legal expert.

IP Logged

Reply #16 - 01. Jun 2010 at 02:19

Drew   Offline
High Level Contributor
What's the best in the
world at your job doing
now
Brisbane

argustuft wrote on 30. May 2010 at 12:44:
So Drew enough of your vieled threats and intimidations

You are so totally wrong with your accusations. I am not trying to intimidate anyone.

Maybe i should put it this way. If you have something that you believe is true, then wouldn't it give you even more credability and show the signs of true leadership to come out from the wall of secrecy and show the courage of your convictions.

I created this post due to the fact that something was written about my company that was UNTRUE. As i have said prior in this post, i welcome things said about my company both bad and good because it is a way in which Pride Services Group can improve into the future.

Pride Services Group endeavours to look after its people. We are not one of the companies going around paying $20 per hour on ABN's (sham contracting)

As stated before we got our agreement in order to be certain of increases that we would face into the future as we had contracts that were going to be over three years and they wanted us to give our increases up front.

I would suggest that you cut and paste or rewrite your information that you have put into this forum under the area that you have placed your original expose on Peter Eather. Please feel free to go through my certified agreement and tell me the issues where i have stripped workers rights on this forum as the ones that you have said about the other companies you will find are not part of our agreement.

We have one more year of our agreement to go. If we have been unfair to our workers then we will seek to change this in the next round of bargaining. I look forward to your analysis of our agreement, as it will draw attention to me where we have fallen down and areas to improve.

Argustuft, you are obviously someone who has not worked for me before. You sound like you have alot of experience in the industry of which some has been bad.

The industry needs people like you to stand up, you may not believe me but i welcome it. It is not all about which side of the fence you are standing on. I hate the us and them approach.

I do not condone what some other companies do in relation to renumeration and i hope that they face the wrath of all of the necessary departments. It would open up doors for established companies that are looking after their employees to get further contracts.

If ever you would like to catch up for a coffee argustuft and to talk about ways in which the industry can be improved please feel free to email me.

I love an intelligent debate, and would love to chew the fat with you, you may find that the fence you see is not that high.

Drew

IP Logged

Reply #15 - 30. May 2010 at 22:55

Administrator   Offline
Administrator
Dob in a Dodgy Operator
Australia

WOW

IP Logged

Reply #14 - 30. May 2010 at 13:51

argustuft   Offline
Casual Contributor
Dog
Workers Unite

Ranann http://ca.workplaceauthority.gov.au/docs/CAs/CAEN073526198.pdf Pride Security http://ca.workplaceauthority.gov.au/docs/CAs/CAEN084860726.pdf HTP Security http://ca.workplaceauthority.gov.au/docs/CAs/CAEN061173354.pdf.
If you look close at the OCS agreement you will find it is a template for all the other agreements but with adjustments which take away working conditions. Have a look at these agreements to see if the agreement a 42 hr week where the normal week under the Award is 38 hrs. It means the worker does not have to pay overtime for 4 hrs of the week where the award said he had to. Have a look at the penalty rates if any. Most times they are below what was in the award and the voluntary extra shifts clause. This is where an employee voluntarily agrees to work overtime at the normal rate. Also the flat pay rate where the rate is marginally above the day shift rate but falls very short of what you would earn with shift and weekend penalties. In a lot of cases the allowances have been scrubbed. Casual loading rates in some cases is below the award rate.
In a lot of cases Eather chopped and changed the original OCS agreement to suit the employer with little regard to consequences and without a legal understanding of what the agreement contained. In the Ranann agreement if the employer wanted to have permanent guards do overtime he had to pay them penalties on a 4 on 4 off flate rate where penalties were incorporated. In fact he was paying penalties on penalties. Eather failed to stipulate it should have been the normal rate plus penalties. Spike talks about it in his post where the employer woke up and started to employ casuals and so the permanent workers lost out on overtime.
I can vouch for two instances where the conditions of the bargaining process were not carried out correctly and verge on fraud and deception because the employer would have to sign a declaration to the Workplace Authority that the process was fair and proper. I don't think the employer would have signed this declaration knowing it was false unless Eather said he could get away with it.
If Eather thinks I have defamed him then let him persue it in court. I would love to get him in court under oath denying what I have said. Who knows it could lead to him being charged under the old Workplace Relations Act and that could carry jail time.
My original post on Eather was a caution to those involved with him. I got sick of the employers trying to scrub him clean and we now all know on which side of the fence he sits.

IP Logged

Reply #13 - 30. May 2010 at 12:44

argustuft   Offline
Casual Contributor
Dog
Workers Unite

Defamation of character is the communication of false information stated as a fact which brings harm to an individual or an entity. For it to be defamation, the statement must be delivered in speech or in writing to at least one person other than the victim. Libel is the defamation of an individual's or an entity's character which is published in a written medium. There are a number of possible defenses against libel and slander, but the only one which is an absolute defense is truth. If the statement is true, it cannot be considered libel or slander.

Libel is Civil law and not Criminal law. Libel actions are settled by monetary compensation and do not ential jail time so a right to hold a security licence is not at risk. So Drew enough of your vieled threats and intimidations. IP addresses are changed each time you switch your modem on and off.

When Peter Eather was the LHMU representative the union delegates were worried about his liasions with management and complained to the LHMU. It is for this reason he left the LHMU. Nothing criminal in that except a breach of faith by unionists in him and the union. During his time with the union Eather was involved with a Greenfields Agreement between OCS security and the LHMU http://ca.workplaceauthority.gov.au/docs/CAs/CAUN06558155.pdf. This is a fair agreement and was legally correct.
When Eather left the union it was the beginning of the Workchoice legislation where workers rights were thrown to the wind. He saw his chance and acted as the EMPLOYERS REPRESENTATIVE in a number of collective agreements.
These were Infront http://ca.workplaceauthority.gov.au/docs/CAs/CAEN073161405.pdf http://ca.workplaceauthority.gov.au/docs/CAs/CAUN072869438.pdf Qld Hospitality and Security Training http://ca.workplaceauthority.gov.au/docs/CAs/CAEN084542655.pdf Qld Hotel Security Solutions http://ca.workplaceauthority.gov.au/docs/CAs/CAEN084542811.pdf Protection Plus http://ca.workplaceauthority.gov.au/docs/CAs/CAEN073746938.pdf Prosek Security http://ca.workplaceauthority.gov.au/docs/CAs/CAEN085007028.pdf Pro System Crowd Management http://ca.workplaceauthority.gov.au/docs/CAs/CAUN084634565.pdf Maximum Security Services http://ca.workplaceauthority.gov.au/docs/CAs/CAEN061173367.pdf CSO Australia http://ca.workplaceauthority.gov.au/docs/CAs/CAEN084413136.pdf Allstate Protections Services http://ca.workplaceauthority.gov.au/docs/CAs/CAEN061306474.pdf A&N Security http://ca.workplaceauthority.gov.au/docs/CAs/CAEN084189107.pdf

IP Logged

Reply #12 - 28. May 2010 at 08:52

Asset Training Australia   Offline
High Level Contributor
Training Australia's Security
Professionals.
QLD

Drew I agree 100% with that view of Peter; my experiences with him over the years have been identical; especially your comment about the balance of fairness between employees and employers.

Many of my colleagues did not get along with him because of his very direct personality. I don't know the circumstances of him leaving the union however I firmly believe that Peter's intentions have always been in the best interests of the industry and its workers.

Mark Costello
Director
Asset Training Australia

www.asset.edu.au
IP Logged

Reply #11 - 28. May 2010 at 01:30

Drew   Offline
High Level Contributor
What's the best in the
world at your job doing
now
Brisbane

I am unaware of the allegations made against Peter Eather. If there was proof of illegal activity i have no doubt that the union would have got the Police involved.

There is always rumors whenever anyone leaves or is dismissed from a position.

I was not aware at the time of doing the agreement up that there had been any issues in relation to Peter Eather.

As far as I know he has even run for council elections as a labour candidate since finishing up with the union. Surely they would not have let him do that with such allegations made against him if they thought that it be true.

When he was in the union i had a couple of battles in relation to staff that i dismissed through gross misconduct and i never got an easy ride by Peter.

I felt that whilst Peter was involved in the union there was a balance of being fair to both employees and employers. Of course he had the interests of the members in mind but he transended boundries that some union officials do not try to do. When there was an issue between an employee and an employer Peter always asked the employee to go to their employer first and to try to sort it out. This i feel is fair as not all employers were trying to cut corners. If the employer and employee could not come to an agreement or if the employer did not rectify the problem then he would investigate.

He was involved in bringing down some of the worst employers in the industry. This meant that there was a more even playing field for companies to quote on work.

Peter now assists to train up youths of underprivilaged families to get into the industry. I go to some of his courses and speak to his classes about what (as an employer) I look for in applicants for positions within the industry.

I would prefer not to get involved in slander against anyone one this website. This is a forum that whilst people may think that they can say anything, it is not real hard to work out who they are. The IP is logged which in my limited knowledge of computers means that the things written can be traced to the computer that they were written at. People need to be very careful with slander as they could find themselves in court and that may find them losing their right to hold a security licence.

It is very easy to lose your integrity in the industry, and almost impossible to gain it back. I don't know the truth about everything and sometimes find myself thinking that companies are breaking the rules and laws but unless i have proof of an action then i will keep it to myself.

If the industry is cleaned up then the cream will rise to the surface.

I will just keep my doorstep clean, that's all i can do.

Drew

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 27. May 2010 at 11:58
Fasta   Guest

Quote:
The whole reason why we even put together an agreement was so we could tender on projects that were longer than a year. The agreement was drawn up by Peter Eather who used to run the Security Division of the Union and voted on by my employees.

Geez Drew you lost all cred in hiring Peter Eather for your collective agreement. His name is crap amongst unionists. See what argustuft has to say under the Qld LHMU section.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 25. May 2010 at 16:09
Tired   Guest

You are dead right Drew it should be simple no ABN or ACN ,no insurance both Public liability and personal indemnity ,no security provider number No trade.And if your found in breach of the conditions 1 warning then jail time for company directors that would certainly go a long way to fixing many problems.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 25. May 2010 at 10:12

Administrator   Offline
Administrator
Dob in a Dodgy Operator
Australia

Drew

This is a quote from Treads in another post:

Quote:
I'm not sure about the laws in other states;  but in NSW it is illegal for someone to subcontract as an individual unless they hold an Individual Masters Licence, Industry membership and their own PL insurance

The requirement to be licenced as a security company in Queensland is if you employ other guards.   If the licencing laws were tightened up similiar to NSW then it would have an effect on who could legally tender for work and who could sub-contract.

If you are a member of ASIAL then push for them to lobby government to tighten up on the laws governing licencing.   Have ASIAL educate security clients on what is a good deal and what is not.

This website gets read by people over Australia in proportion to the population in the cities and towns.   This forum is filled with complaints of underpayment and shoddy operators from mainly Queensland.   So the question has to be asked why Queensland.

The question can be partly answered by looking up the yellow pages for security services for Queensland:

http://www.yellowpages.com.au/search/listings?clue=security+guards+%26+patrol+ag...

And then put a sample through the Queensland Fair Trading Licence check facility:

http://www.fairtrading.qld.gov.au/are-you-licensed.htm

I did a large sample and found roughly 47% of those listed as supplying patrol services and guarding were not licenced.   When I approached Fair Trading about this, they told me that a firm needed to be licenced if they employed guards.   I got the impression that they did not run checks on security firms, and it was voluntary process for a firm to request to be licenced.

A problem with the industry is that the client is oblivious as to whether the service he is paying for is actually being performed.   Loggers verify whether a patrol has visited the site but whether secuity checks have been made is contentious.   With static guards the only way is to personally check on them in the early hours of the morning.

A shoddy operator can operate with out much supervision for many months or years until some audit is made either personally or from an incident on site.   The operator loses the contract if found to be underperforming, and the client goes looking for another cheap contractor.

It all starts with the mid sized ethical security companies to push for change, otherwise the industry work gets fought over by small operators trying to cut each other out of contracts.   Mid-sized security companies have the most to lose out of this.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 25. May 2010 at 03:52

Drew   Offline
High Level Contributor
What's the best in the
world at your job doing
now
Brisbane

Pride Security Installations is the company you are thinking of K9handler.

We are Pride Services Group. Our team comprises of approx 35 people directly.

We pay in accordance with our Certified Agreement. (above). It was passed through Industrial relations and was subject to the fairness test.

The whole reason why we even put together an agreement was so we could tender on projects that were longer than a year. The agreement was drawn up by Peter Eather who used to run the Security Division of the Union and voted on by my employees.

There is always so much controversy on how much the increase will be each year and tenders (government included) require us to tender and put in prices for subsequent years.

We would like to be much larger than we currently are but we are finding that due to employees having the willingness to flat rate for $15.00 - $23.00 per hour to be casual employees with no penalties and workcover and putting their houses at risk without public liability it is meaning that we are not competative in the marketplace.

I recently tendered on a job and went in at $34.45 per hour + GST (it was nights and twenty four hours on weekends) and were the highest tenderer on the job. We were only going to make $3.00 per hour for admin and profit.

The successful tenderer was at $28.00 per hour + GST

The lowest tenderer was $25.00 per hour + GST

My labour costs were higher than the successful tenderer.

The old addage of "If you can't beat them join" them does not apply with Pride Services Group. We will never compromise our integrity to run with the rat race.

K9handler, I am sorry that you dismiss all companies as being shonky.

I have run the following companies and whilst i was in control none of them were or are shonky

*Prestige Property Services (State Mgr Qld) (bought by Tempo (ISS))
*Securecorp (State Mgr Qld)
*Pickwick Group (State Manager Qld)

I am now the owner of Pride Services Group. We started in 2007.

I do not know the circumstance of any Dog handling companies in Queensland in relation to pay rates, I am sure there is at least one company that pays correctly.

I wish you all the best of luck in finding a company that you feel that you are being rewarded financially and treated well in your chosen discipline.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 23. May 2010 at 11:14

Administrator   Offline
Administrator
Dob in a Dodgy Operator
Australia

Drew

Found the certified agreement.   It is registered as the Pride Security Collective Agreement.   It expires on 1 July 2011.

Employer legal name: Pride Services Group Pty Ltd
Date of lodgement: 2/05/2008   Agreement number: 084860726

View it at: http://ca.workplaceauthority.gov.au/docs/CAs/CAEN084860726.pdf

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 21. May 2010 at 13:03

k9handler   Offline
High Level Contributor

I think pride only do alarm systems and monitor them dont they?

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 21. May 2010 at 12:43

Administrator   Offline
Administrator
Dob in a Dodgy Operator
Australia

Drew

Quote:
We had our certified agreement passed through industrial relations without any changes needed to be made.

I cannot find any evidence of this certified agreement registered with Fair Work Australia using your company name and ABN.

Is there any other reference I might use to uncover this agreement?

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 21. May 2010 at 06:39

k9handler   Offline
High Level Contributor

I have worked in security since 1988 private and government departments. I dont really want to work for my self as most of the so called security companies charge $25 or less not worth it.

So how many staff do you have and what are they being paid?

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 21. May 2010 at 01:09

Drew   Offline
High Level Contributor
What's the best in the
world at your job doing
now
Brisbane

I am saddened for you that you have not been able to get work for a company that has satisfied you.

If you feel that there are no companies that you feel meet the standards that you exude or expect then it would be my recommendation that you start your own company and show the clients that you can provide the service yourself with like minded people.

It is very easy for you to make a sweeping statement like you have, I used to hold such negative thoughts. (20 years in the industry across two states) but i took a long hard look at myself and realised that i was not looking after the companies that i worked for, i made an effort to change my ways and started to reap the benefits through a progression path.

I used to feel that i have been very lucky to be in the position that i am in. But it's funny that the harder i have worked, the luckier that i have become.

I cannot speak for other companies but i can speak for my company. We value every employee that works for our company, and we have found that by treating our employees with respect, they treat our clients, other security officers and our management staff with respect.

A quote that comes to mind is one by Mother Teresa.

If everyone would clean their own doorstep, the whole world would be clean.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 20. May 2010 at 06:40

k9handler   Offline
High Level Contributor

Its hard for all guards to stop working for shonky companies. If they did there would be no security companies working.

THERE ARE NO GOOD SECURITY COMPANIES TO WORK FOR

IP Logged

19. May 2010 at 16:43

Drew   Offline
High Level Contributor
What's the best in the
world at your job doing
now
Brisbane

Pride Services Group welcomes discussions in relation to our company, both good and bad. We do however hope that the things written are true and correct.

Pride Services Group was formed in 2007 because we recognise that there were difficiencies in the Security Industry in Queensland.

We are not as big as we want to be but we are proud of our achievements.

We still have nine of our first ten employees working for us. We are very loyal to our employees.

We have not grown at the rate that we have wished due to companies awarding contracts to security companies at 30% less than it costs me to pay my security officers.

We had our certified agreement passed through industrial relations without any changes needed to be made.

In twenty years in the security industry i have worked for major companies and none of these whilst under my stewardship or due to my stewardship have had any industrial issues.

Due to the dynamics of Patrol Services it is impossible to have all vehicles leaving from the one base in Brisbane as some would not reach the area of coverage for up to an hour after commencement. This means a potential of two hours lost each shift.

Pride Services Group does use subcontractors for it's Patrol Services. All subcontractors are Pty Ltd companies and they have the ability to employ any persons that they see fit. They are able (and we encourage) to hold their own contracts. We do not want them to rely on us in order for their business to flourish. They all hold their own Public Liability and Security Provider's licence.

If anyone has feedback in relation to Pride Services Group that is of a negative nature please feel free to email me at prideservicesgroup@bigpond.com

We welcome people's being critical of us as it is a way in which we can learn and improve. Being an owner of a Security company is hard work and does not make me a millionaire (people always seem to think that cause you own a company you are rich). We make mistakes as company owners just like employees make mistakes.

Companies that are deliberately doing things wrong may get their day in the sun but eventually it will catch up on them.

I started Pride Services Group with $10,000 and a lot of dreams and aspirations. With a lot of perspiration we are where we are today.

Please don't try to denegrade what my employees and I have built without having your facts correct. I wouldn't slander any employee who has left my company just because there may be a forum that i might be able to hide behind.

If all of the Security Officers would stop working (at the same time) for shonky companies for one week it would change the industry.

Maybe then i would start to win more contracts and start to pay higher than the award as i believe that the award should be the lowest people should be paid and not the ceiling.

Yours in security

Drew Paternoster
Director
Pride Services Group Pty Ltd

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print