Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Australian Security Worker

Return to Website Recent Posts HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterBroadcast Message to Admin(s)  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dogs on trains? (Read 9358 times)
Reply #13 - 08. Apr 2018 at 21:33

Rachel20   Offline
Casual Contributor
Workers Unite

Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
I agree with you.

IP Logged

Reply #12 - 06. Feb 2013 at 11:30

Wiremu   Offline
New Contributor
Workers Unite

I agree but let the dog be a good presence and use your voice and a more hands on approach then at least you would of given some kind of action than none at all. Wink

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 29. Dec 2010 at 20:49

davidthedogman   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite

Sean even this is wrong.  I would never say better than nothing either, a bus is a much more confines space that a train carriage, who would take their dog on a bus, unless it was to engage a baddie?????

QR wants dogs on trains they should provide suitable moving trains just one carriage for the purpose of training.  The first unjustifiable bite will bring the house of cards crashing down.

Dave

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 28. Dec 2010 at 07:38

Seaniemac   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite
Brisbane

Your right dave I was involved indirectly with the training of some of the transit dogs.Reality based training is the only way to go.The trainer that did them used a bus with about 15 people wich was my job obnoxious can I pat yer dog mate,all dogs like me harmless drunk.Good test of handler and dog in a enclosed space ,everything comes back to control.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 27. Dec 2010 at 22:05

davidthedogman   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite

Yes he can it is called the right thing to do.  i bet the guard won't fo it again.

Trains and dogs, we have always trained in real life scenarios, so in this you would need a carriage and about 20 or so people to do it correctly, you may then have any number of scenarios you would need to use hidden arms etc for the dogs benefit.

Dave

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 11. Oct 2010 at 19:48

mkk9   Offline
Casual Contributor
Licenced Security Officer/
K9 handler

Seaniemac wrote on 10. Oct 2010 at 11:59:
Mate the company he works for he has enough problems already!

You can not make a statement like that and then say nothing!!!

SPILL!!!!!

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 10. Oct 2010 at 11:59

Seaniemac   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite
Brisbane

Mate the company he works for he has enough problems already! Wink

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 10. Oct 2010 at 04:03

mkk9   Offline
Casual Contributor
K9 handler

Seaniemac wrote on 07. Oct 2010 at 07:42:
And sorry to the guard I woke uplast night with his dog on his lap.

Do tell!!!!!

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 07. Oct 2010 at 07:42

Seaniemac   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite
Brisbane

Victorian or Nsw(Cant remember wich one)  transit authority use dogs on a regular basis or at least did to protect transit officers in high risk areas.They were trained here in Qld.And sorry to the guard I woke up  last night with his dog on his lap. Smiley
« Last Edit: 07. Oct 2010 at 07:45 by Seaniemac »  
IP Logged

Reply #4 - 06. Oct 2010 at 20:42

spike   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite

Hi

Read the post of dogs on trains you are correct in most of the issues..

However QLD Rail still has some hurdles to get over. My under standing the RBTU and the AFULE members arn't to please about the anouncement.

While they support any measures to protect the Public and their members they have concerns:

1. Need to be 2  security officers, a Security Officer and a Dog handler
2. Would prefer more police officers, or more arresting powers for Security Officers
3. The RBTU is extremely concern for the safety of Train Guards and Tickets Inspectors
4. Platform Safety
5. Qualification of Security Officers and or the training of Security dogs to cope with of a sensative situation involving the public,    an angry group, in a confined space, a moving train travelling at 100 KM per hour, no escape from the train at that speed, and what role does the train guard in situation.

I dont know any where else where dogs and handlers are used in Australia on trains, but haven't done the research yet.

One Railway Train Guard told me if there is an incident he can't get involved but needs to radio Control who will contact the police or security, however he/she has control of the train.

This is where the LHMU should be the vanguard in this issue an look at verifing the Security Industry Award to include an advance level and training for Security officers at this work.

And where is our union the LHMU with this issue, heads in the sand as usual.

But then of the 15,000 or more Licence Security Officer in QLD they have less than a thousand and most of them are at the Airport, what a @#%* Joke.

I will have some info on cash carriers which I will release to this forum in a week, once there is a outcome to a Company (Major Company) propsal to change their policy on operations, a new boss from the Static area has been employed.

The TWU (and I have a story on them) needs to give better support to their members in the Security Industry they are almost as bad as the LHMU.

Regards

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 06. Oct 2010 at 15:10

Seaniemac   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite
Brisbane

In what way Jarrad to lengthy in format? Just interested.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 06. Oct 2010 at 12:20

SecOps   Offline
High Level Contributor
Licensed Security Officer
NSW Australia

Wow that was difficult to read.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 05. Oct 2010 at 19:21

mkk9   Offline
Casual Contributor
K9 handler

Seaniemac wrote on 05. Oct 2010 at 15:45:
but 80% of security dogs working in Qld would beflat out to do a correct heel 

After seeing what I have seen, I would raise that percentage to over 90%, but hey I work for Alldogs and all our staff only have muts from the pound!

IP Logged

05. Oct 2010 at 15:45

Seaniemac   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite
Brisbane

Had a laugh yesterday saw the media report on Securecorp using dogs on the Qr rail network have they not been doing this for a long time already?Most people in the industry are aware that the dog part of the contract is provided by companys like Infront anyway.

It takes a very well trained dog to handle the potential threats involved in working on rail networks.probably the hardest scenario been a large brawl which could require a guard to use his dog for crowd control.

I will probably be shot down in flames for saying this but 80% of security dogs working in Qld would be  flat out to do a correct heel and basic obedience let alone handle a crowd control situation.In fact a lot of Qps dog handlers would not involve their k9 in a situation like this if given other force options.And its alright because they wear muzzles?But this can be a double edged sword.Dont get me wrong public /personal safety should always be the primary concern,But some dogs once muzzle trained(as in defense with a muzzle on)show increased aggression with the muzzle on.Just concerns me the use of security dogs in high public areas like platforms when even police shy from this type of scenario,

I am not knocking anyone if I had to do rail work I would prefer to do it with a dog .I just remember the transit guard that intervened in a situation last year(a direct Qr employee) that intervened in a brawl and was given no backing when it went south.So god knows what backing security would get ?

And just for laughs they went ahead in the media report and told us how elite the dog were and how effective they are in preventing situations and the last words uttered from the Qr media statement "But their bark is worse than their bite".Translated we look good but we cant really do anything ring 000 and wait for the 45 min response from Qld undervalued/underesourced  police.Laughable really ......... Sad
« Last Edit: 07. Oct 2010 at 07:44 by Seaniemac »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print