Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Australian Security Worker

Return to Website Recent Posts HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterBroadcast Message to Admin(s)  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
NSW Mutual Recognition Legislation (Read 12636 times)
Reply #12 - 16. Nov 2010 at 17:12

Spectre   Offline
High Level Contributor
Unarmed Security
Victoria

Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Asset Training Australia wrote on 15. Nov 2010 at 18:48:
If you live near the border and intend on working in both states then it is a different story.

This is the position I may find myself in, having a cross border licence would allow my employment prospects to effectively double, not sure about the actual costs involved however as the Victorian Licence already sets me back just over $100 per year (three year licensing period) Wink

Thanks for all the feedback everyone...

ausguard - this has already happened in other professions (aka transport workers), I agree a Nationally recognised training standard (and associated National licence) would be the direction in which to move, perhaps the powers that be will see this and make alterations in the not-to-distant future Wink
« Last Edit: 16. Nov 2010 at 17:17 by Spectre »  

"Folks who think profiling has no place in the world we live and believe that all folks have good intentions are called victims of violent crimes." - David Burnell
IP Logged

Reply #11 - 16. Nov 2010 at 07:38

ausguard   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite

I agree with the idea, that the industry would benefit from a one national standard. Though I don't see this ever happening  in the near future.

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 16. Nov 2010 at 07:00

Asset Training Australia   Offline
High Level Contributor
Training Australia's Security
Professionals.
QLD

I agree in principle that some of the licensing requirements contradict the intentions of the "Nationally Recognised Training" system however the AQTF does include provision for compliance with state legislation.

NSW is not alone. VIC, SA and WA also only accept qualifications issued by their approved RTO's for security licensing. Plus every state/territory has other industries/occupations/licences that they regulate in a similar manner (eg. Firearms Licences, Drivers Licences, various OHS tickets).

I certainly don't disagree with the statement that the NSW licensing system is flawed however I believe a major contributing factor is that so many people misuse the mutual recognition legislation to work around the system. I empathise with the guys down there that are finding it difficult to follow the system but it does not help the situation by lowering your standards to using loopholes that cheat the system. The most likely outcome from the inquiry will be that the NSW Govt will amend the Mutual Recognition legislation and exclude the security industry which means that the people who are genuinely entitled to Mutual Recognition will be the ones to lose out.

It would be nice to see the proposed national harmonisation of the security industry be implemented and work as it is intended and the AQTF qualifications actually be "Nationally Regognised" however if the "National" OHS White Card is any indication of its effectiveness it will not change the fact that every state/territory is going to dictate its own licensing requirements.

Mark Costello
Director
Asset Training Australia

www.asset.edu.au
IP Logged

Reply #9 - 16. Nov 2010 at 06:15

Ex-Security2011   Offline
High Level Contributor

That and SLED just makes their own rules regardless of AQTF guidelines, hence my comment about them being a law unto themselves in another thread  Angry

Basically the NSW gubbermint legislated changes that totally goes against the fair and equitable system that AQTF represents. No other state has done this  Roll Eyes

No wonder people in NSW are going to QLD to get their licences

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 16. Nov 2010 at 00:00

ausguard   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite

I still stand by my statement that the nsw system is flawed. I have spoken to a few people that have a 'P' restricted liecence and have given up on finding a job in the industry. I don't think it's Unethical, maybe more frustration that drives people interstate for training.
The nsw system was meant in part to clean up the industry of some bad apples. But a look around and you still find many a idiot holding a full permit.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 15. Nov 2010 at 18:48

Asset Training Australia   Offline
High Level Contributor
Training Australia's Security
Professionals.
QLD

The mutual recognition process applies to licences not the training that was completed in order to gain that licence. If you have a current licence in QLD (or any other state/territory) then you can apply for the equivilent licence in NSW (or any other state/territory) without being required to complete mandatory training/probation that a new applicant is required to complete.

This means if you have an unrestricted QLD licence and you decide to work in NSW then you can apply to SLED for a NSW licence and not be required to undertake the training or probation. When the application is approved you would hold a licence for each state and can either keep them both current or let one lapse, they are not co-dependant.

About 50% of new licence applications in NSW are through mutual recognition (I don't recall the source of those stats but there is an inquiry being launched by NSW Govt). Most are just using the loophole in the system to avoid following the correct procedure for that state. Regardless of how bad the system is, using mutual recognition intentionally to avoid the states licence application process is completely unethical and should not be encouraged.

We receive 3-4 calls each day from NSW residents who want to attend our course in Brisbane just to avoid the higher course costs and probation period in NSW. They are all told the same thing - if you live in NSW and intend on working in NSW then you should do a NSW course. If you live near the border and intend on working in both states then it is a different story.

One point to note - if you have held a NSW licence in the past and let it lapse. You will not be eligible to use mutual recognition to apply for a NSW licence, even if you have an interstate licence.

Mark Costello
Director
Asset Training Australia

www.asset.edu.au
IP Logged

Reply #6 - 15. Nov 2010 at 18:09

ausguard   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite

Am I reading this right?
I have a current QLD licence and under mutual recognition I now hold a NSW permit. I have interest in working in QLD as I'm not moving up there now. But for me to keep my nsw ticket I have to keep my QLD licence current all the time.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 15. Nov 2010 at 15:09

High Level Contributor

Hi guys,

I received this today from our member association SPAAL:

Quote:
The Administrative Appeals Tribunal (AAT) has ruled on two mutual recognition applications refused by the Security Licensing and Enforcement Directorate (SLED).
The SLED argued that the applicants were not eligible to apply under the provisions of Section 19 of the Mutual Recognition Act, because each had a previous NSW licence that had been revoked "as a result of disciplinary action". In both cases, the individuals' NSW licences were revoked because they failed to comply with the requirement to complete a required training upgrade.

The AAT affirmed the Commissioner's  decision, effectively ruling that a revocation on these grounds does constitute "disciplinary action". This means that applicants who were revoked for not providing upgraded training certificates, and who then obtain an interstate licence, are not eligible for a licence in NSW under mutual recognition principles.

To read the decisions in full, visit the AAT's website www.aat.gov.au

Also, individuals who have obtained a NSW licence under mutual recognition principles should be aware that each time they reapply for that licence they must still hold a current equivalent interstate licence. If the interstate licence has expired, the individual will not be eligible to reapply under mutual recognition and will need to meet NSW licensing requirements (including completing training and assessment with a SLED approved Registered Training Organisation).

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 15. Nov 2010 at 10:58

ausguard   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite

More proof that the NSW system is flawed. These rules only hinder the security officer not help them.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 15. Nov 2010 at 10:01

NWTR   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite

I enquired about gettin my 1D in NSW to do dog work.  I held a 1D 2 years ago but because i wasnt doing dog work when i had to go through the nsw rpl crap i had to hand it in.  I think it sux how we should have to hand it in, the more on our licence, the more chance and finding jobs we have.  same goes for my 1F.  had to hand it in also as i dindt work for chub or armaguard CIT.  Seeing as there is no training yet for dog handlers in nsw wihout doing the Probationary period, a nsw RTO told me to do the QLD course, and then do mutual recognition, and bingo i would have a full NSW 1D licence.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 15. Nov 2010 at 09:08

ausguard   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite

Treads, i like your way of thinking. Wink

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 14. Nov 2010 at 18:17

High Level Contributor

Lets just say that if you wanted to do armed guarding in NSW you would have to work for Armaguard or Chubb and go on your P's for 12 months; however if you had the qualifications and a full QLD licence, you could just get mutual recognition in NSW, get a full 'F' licence and work for whoever you wanted   Cool

Don't ask how I know this.... lol  Wink

IP Logged

14. Nov 2010 at 17:59

Spectre   Offline
High Level Contributor
Unarmed Security
Victoria

The NSW Police web site mentions "Mutual Recognition Laws" in relation to obtaining a NSW security license when already holding an interstate qualification, is this like RPL through RTO's or something much simpler (like just paying the fees on proof of interstate qualification)? Undecided

Cheers.

"Folks who think profiling has no place in the world we live and believe that all folks have good intentions are called victims of violent crimes." - David Burnell
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print