Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Australian Security Worker

Return to Website Recent Posts HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterBroadcast Message to Admin(s)  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dog handlers Association. (Read 5126 times)
Reply #6 - 18. Feb 2011 at 20:48

spike   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite

Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Hi Seaniemac

You are absolutly right in all your comments, I have a Shepard "Max".  Max was given to me by a dog handler who couldn't afford the medication because of his age and medication for his back hips. He is now a house pet and yes he sleeps inside at night.

There needs to be a uniform code either regulated, or self imposed on the well being of dogs, the transport of dogs, and the training of dogs. For example on the Origin site I have obsorved and was sickened that a caged black shepard dog on the back of a Hi Lux tray back which is open to the weather, and comment was made by Origin Alliance Management was it a rule the  dogs be offered weather protection cover(it was very heavy rain at the time), and then there are the rest of handlers who have weather protected covered utes for their shepards or other dogs with plenty of ventilation and warmth. than I guess an open cage on the back of a Tray back in blinding rain is plenty of ventilation for the dog, by the way the dog was crampt in his cage. It was reported but nothing happened.

But that is not my gripe as IR is of my interist, how many dog handlers know that from July 2014 under the Transitional Arragement of the Modern Award the dog allowances will be phrased out. In other words Dog Handler will be recoganised as equal to Patrol, Armed, Control Room Officers and Static Officers on level 2.

One thing you don't do is have the emloyers (particular those who support untraind and pets as guard dogs), involved in any dog handler organisation, rather you should network with the Prison Officer Dog Handlers (Both Private and State), The Police Dog handlers, Customs, AFP, Australian Protective Services, Airforce and other Defence Forces.

They all have their own clubs or assoications, for example a (extention to the Prision Officer Asssociation) you can contact them through the Internet.

I believe private security dog handlers are here to stay and will expand, althought the handlers and dogs will be more proffessional and better trained in the future.

But comrade please don't forget the other codes of security as you and they will the support of each other to achieve yours and theirs indivual  aims.

With respect the above are just my thoughts.

Kind regards.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 17. Feb 2011 at 22:23

Seaniemac   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite
Brisbane

They have their place in private security but working a door of a venue is not one.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 17. Feb 2011 at 22:15

GeorgeK   Offline
Medium Level Contributor
Workers Unite

I've never done dog work, but I'm curious what you guys think of drug dogs. A venue I used to work at started using one just before I moved on and it didn't sit right with me.  He used to screen the patrons before entry and even gave me a good sniff a few times while I was on the door.  I didn't like it and neither did a lot of the patrons.  I heard they dropped it after a few weeks because of complaints.  It just seems like something best left to the cops to me.  I never saw him actually detect anything, but I wondered what he would/could do if he did.  Confiscate the drugs?

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 17. Feb 2011 at 21:53

Seaniemac   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite
Brisbane

Hey Spike it needs to happen especially for dog handlers there are many more factors at play for a dog handler than just being a security officer.Most good dog handlers have a lot more tied up in there job than your average security officer and so they should.
Most dog handlers I know have a lot of time ,money and training tied up in their dog/dogs.

Just to give you a example for me personally.Two Shepherds between the two weekly 4 hours obedience,2 hours of tracking,2 hours of protection training.Monthly vet check x 2,Tac and associated equip including bite sleeves etc- $3000 ish,appropriate  transport caging for both dogs approx $800 plus suitable ute with canopy,Council specification kenneling with easement for a 3rd dog Dont ask.Registration,immunisation etc.

Dog handlers have a lot more potential  dramas to face in their occupation than just licensing.Local council regs in regards to ownership as well as where and when you can use your dog,The Rspca not at all supportive of the use of security dogs.Breed specific legislation.Canine control councils and their opinion in general that protection training does not exist and I could go on all night.

Tha Association I propose is more to lobby groups so we can have our say  rather than try and improve conditions.(Although I believe this is important).I fear if we do not the dog handler will disappear as a security presence legislated out of existence.I think that positive promotion of the k9 officer as well as pointing out the benefits to security companys ,the public and looking organised as a assosciation with both company and handler participation could only be a good thing? As I have previously stated the LMH who?

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 17. Feb 2011 at 20:57

spike   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite

Hi Guys

It's not going to happen.

There has been many previous post about having a security association and nothing has happened.

A dog handlers association (inc) as it would have to be, is not going to happen.

The LHMU out of 27,000 Security officer in QLD only have around 650 financial members, five years ago there were more than 3,730.

What went wrong in those five years for the LHMU, I have my own theory, however I would be interisted in your views, even if you wern't a LHMU member.

The Doggies, Static, Crowd Controlllers and the Cash in Transit Officers should call a conference to look at the future of the Security Industry, we are all in the same boat.

Sponsers, from many non security companies would fund a conference, for example, Maleg torches, Uniden Radios, even the Office of Fair Trading and others.

It would not be hard to organise, one would only need to network contacts.

Papers could be given by experts in the field of security, including the Fair Work Ombudsman.

Please post your views.

Just a thought.

Kind Regards

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 17. Feb 2011 at 15:54

Drew   Offline
High Level Contributor
What's the best in the
world at your job doing
now
Brisbane

Go for it mate, yeah it was alot of talk then no follow up. You wanted to do it from the start, be a leader and they can follow you if they like.

I will give you my support, let me know what you need.

Drew

IP Logged

17. Feb 2011 at 14:13

Seaniemac   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite
Brisbane

Hey guys and girls previously on this forum I have raised the possibility of a Dog handlers Association.
I would really like to get this off the ground so have decided to have a go myself.Those that have previously stated they were going to start one have made no further announcments on this or any other public forum I can find.
You will have to bear with me this is well out of my area of expetise and am still researching what will be involved as like most of you guys and girls I am just a security officer like most of you.
My goals will be to have a association to give us a voice in regards to legislation,keep you guys up to date with the law,general working dog related news,profiles on k9 teams and companys etc. with a newsletter/email?
I dont feel at this stage it would be viable to look at certifying dogs and handlers.I dont have the expertise in this area.Maybe in years to come.
My aim is to make membership intially free/minimal with individual and company membership available on commencement.My goal is to be completely NON PROFIT.

Anyone interested please feel free to email/PM me those that have previously exspressed support thank you I have not forgotten.

Regards Sean. Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
« Last Edit: 17. Feb 2011 at 14:13 by Seaniemac »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print