Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Australian Security Worker

Return to Website Recent Posts HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterBroadcast Message to Admin(s)  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Southern Cross Protection (Read 12164 times)
Reply #10 - 27. Aug 2015 at 13:23

Administrator   Offline
Administrator
Dob in a Dodgy Operator
Australia

Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
From what I can ascertain, Archer Solutions supply Southern Cross Protection with independent contractors. See:http://ausecurityworker.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1426130849

Southern Cross Protection is a nationwide security firm which is part owned by ISS which owns MSS. Its website claims that it conducts over 15,000 patrol visits every night, utilising 150 vehicles out of 32 localised branches Australia wide with over 6,000 customers. See: http://www.sxprotection.com.au/

I cannot detect if any Enterprise Agreement applies to this company, so presumably they work under the Security Services Industry Award 2010. I understand that they employ their own staff to work during the week but employ independent contractors to work the weekend shifts. For these independent contractors, they utilize Archer Solutions.

A person who replies to Archer Solutions advertisements, they are presented with a contract which has a fixed hourly rate. This rate at first glance may seem attractive except when the contractor realizes he/she does weekend shift work and other costs are deducted from their income. After comparing what is left in hand, to what they could have earned under the award, they realize that it is Southern Cross Protection and Archer Solutions who are benefiting from their labour.

Southern Cross Protection are prepared to pay Archer Solutions a relatively high hourly amount for contractors considering any other employment costs such as payroll tax, workers compensation and public liability insurance costs are not theirs to bear when they engage an independent contractor.

Archer Solutions on the other hand have to set up a scheme whereby those who they engage can qualify under Taxation Rules as independent contractors. Although Freelance Global, Southern Cross Protection's previous contractor supplier, showed that their discretionary trust structure was illegal, I believe the Archer Solutions work on the same model.

The critical point when it comes to taxation laws is the definition of Personal Services Income (PSI). I have gone through the PSI rules on the ATO webpage and cannot see that a person who performs the duties of a security guard cannot be termed other than having Personal Services Income. Income is classified as PSI when more than 50% of the amount you received for a contract was for your labour, skills or expertise.

If the PSI rules apply to you, they affect how you report your PSI to the ATO and the deductions you can claim. If the PSI rules don't apply, your business is a personal services business (PSB). You can receive PSI regardless of your business structure. If you're producing PSI through a company, partnership or trust, the income may be treated as your individual income for tax purposes. See: https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/Personal-services-income/

If you are on an similar independent contract it is wise to contact a financial adviser to see that the trust system is legal.
« Last Edit: 27. Aug 2015 at 13:55 by Administrator »  

Ah! Working in Security where finding the real thief could be your employer. Now is the time to check your super account.
IP Logged

Reply #9 - 14. Jun 2012 at 14:42

johnnosk   Offline
New Contributor
Workers Unite

Up here in Mackay, a company called 'Evolve Protection Services' runs the local Southern Cross franchise

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 03. Dec 2011 at 14:50

Shane   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite
Brisbane

BLG, You are hired through freelance which is a labour hire company and paid through them. It is 27-28$ an hour but it works as if you were working under ABN at the end of the financial year you have to pay freelance your tax or they advise you what you have to pay in tax.

That is if you are working through them as an employee doing patrols, they supply the car, torches, fuel etc.

However they do have the licensee option.
That is not what they are looking for through their advertisement on seek though. They are looking for employees to be employed through freelance.

Thanks and Regards
Shane
IP Logged

Reply #7 - 03. Dec 2011 at 08:41

Macca   Offline
Casual Contributor
Workers Unite

Hi BLG,
I see that Sthn. Cross are wanting to engage Mobile Patrol Officers and state they can earn
up to $350. per day
.up to? Appears that you have to supply your own vehicle etc and all running costs are yours to patrol premises as nominated by them.?. WOW is this a good deal or what?
It is very much like the the transport industry, quote any price to gain revenue and then sub it out to anyone who is not aware of what their actual costs are until they go down, down, down. Then there will be another one waiting to take their place. Maybe one should call them franchisees, this tends to make them feel better.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 24. Apr 2011 at 19:58

Bogan Logan Guard   Offline
Casual Contributor
Workers Unite

Hey everyone again, did a little research on Southern cross protection, I hear that all new employee`s are payed though a company called Freelance? Please correct if wrong. Questions are Who are they? What pay rates they pay? and so on. Any info would be good as i looked at web site and no info was supplied on website.  Embarrassed

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 21. Mar 2011 at 17:34

Drew   Offline
High Level Contributor
What's the best in the
world at your job doing
now
Brisbane

Steve_Cole

Your posts have been taken down probably due to the fact that you have called yourself Steve Cole on this forum and have said crap comments about Southern Cross.

Steve Cole is the Regional Manager for Southern Cross for Qld and it could imply that you are actually that man, of which i highly doubt.

You can still write the dribble that you originally wrote about Southern Cross, just use a different name not associated with the company.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 20. Mar 2011 at 22:55

Casual Contributor
Workers Unite

How funny guys lets keep it real and stay on topic here. I am after some legit feedback on this company as I want to leave this flybuy nighter company i work for and join the gang at southern cross.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 20. Mar 2011 at 22:50
steve_cole   Ex Member

Hi administrator I have just returned from an all expenses paid trip to bangkok and have noticed my posts were deleted on the grounds it was incorrect. Everything I stated was true and correct and may I add that my name is Steven cole not Mike cole. There has never been a Mike Cole work for Southern Cross Protection. Angry
« Last Edit: 21. Mar 2011 at 16:00 by N/A »  
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 12. Mar 2011 at 02:28

Administrator   Offline
Administrator
Dob in a Dodgy Operator
Australia

Various posts have been deleted as they malicious and border on vilification.   I have been informed that a Mike Cole is the current manager of Southern Cross Security and someone is using his name as a tag to post disparaging remarks about the company.

This forum is alerting the security industry to operators who operate outside the Fair Work Act and try to defraud workers.   If anyone has any legitimate complaints about this company feel free to make a post otherwise keep the gutter gossip out.

Ah! Working in Security where finding the real thief could be your employer. Now is the time to check your super account.
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 07. Mar 2011 at 17:21
QLD   Guest

Use to be Chubb security now have a new owner.These cars have been on the road for months.

IP Logged

07. Mar 2011 at 15:24

Casual Contributor
Workers Unite

Hello Boys and Girls i noticed a different security patrol company in the brisbane CBD the other night. Southern Cross Protection was signed on the car. What is your knowledge on this company as i never seen it before. Post your comments here, any info would be great. Thanks.  Huh

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print