Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Australian Security Worker

Return to Website Recent Posts HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterBroadcast Message to Admin(s)  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Agreement expiry advice! (Read 3111 times)
Reply #3 - 13. May 2018 at 23:38

tywo   Offline
Medium Level Contributor
Workers Unite

Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
This is very interesting

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 28. Aug 2011 at 09:16

Arthur   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite

I went to Fair Work with a problem and it was resolved with a reasonable outcome for me. I think in your case, where I assume that you're just after some advice at this stage, perhaps a phone call to them and a discussion would shed some light on where your husband is at... and what may or may not be headed toward him in the future.

This industry, in general, is very much unprepared for the workforce shortages that will occur in the future as baby boomers start to retire (and they make up a very large componant in Australia's workforce). So, it could be that the security industry begins to compete for skills and knowledge as much as some other industries currently do.

However, the current trend seems to be that shortages are satisfied by low-skilled entrants who are trained by organisations like Joblink Plus and the like. The end result is that just about everyone in the industry is expendable and treated like cattle.

I still can't work out why legislation is set so that a provisional security licence holder is paid the same (IAW the Award, that is) as a guard with, say....10 years experience in the security industry.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 28. Aug 2011 at 09:11

Administrator   Offline
Administrator
Dob in a Dodgy Operator
Australia

Elanya

The HR company you talk about is probably a labour hire company which hires out its personel to the security firm.   This sounds dodgy and I think in the past that Fair Work Australia has investigated this sort of arrangement and ruled that it was not valid.

I would question whether the company has the right to transfer people from one agreement to the other.   My understanding is that if an Enterprise Agreement expires then any party to the agreement ie employer or employees or their union can seek to terminate the agreement and seek to negotiate a new agreement.

When the negotiations conclude with a proposed Enterprise Agreement, which is suitable to all parties, it is put to a vote by the employees.

The webpage:http://ausecurityworker.com/bargaining.htm explains what the bargaining process should contain.

If you  wish to keep the details confidential and receive authoritative advice then I would contact the Fair Work Ombudsman http://www.fairwork.gov.au/Pages/default.aspx.   They will keep your details confidential while they investigate your claim. Smiley

Ah! Working in Security where finding the real thief could be your employer. Now is the time to check your super account.
IP Logged

27. Aug 2011 at 14:13

Elanya   Offline
New Contributor
Workers Unite

Hi all,

I'm an occasional lurker, but long time appreciator of the work this site aims to achieve.  It has given us much information but I am still a little hazy on a few things and hoping for a little advice.

My husband is technically employed by a HR company, under a collective agreement for 'Industries not otherwise assigned'.  All of his fellow employees received a letter a few months ago changing them from one agreement (about to expire) to the HR's only other valid agreement, which appears set to expire in Apr 2012.

What should we expect to take place next year once it expires, from either the HR company or his security firm?

He constantly goes above and beyond the call of duty, works his ass off and never complains. One day it would be nice to see him get paid more than a flat basic rate when he does 15 hour shifts or public holidays...

I can provide more info if needed, but I'd rather do so privately as he values job security too much.

Thanks in advance if anyone is able to help.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print