Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Australian Security Worker

Return to Website Recent Posts HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterBroadcast Message to Admin(s)  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Ivy Hotel - Sydney (Read 26866 times)
Reply #32 - 16. Feb 2015 at 13:03

Administrator   Offline
Administrator
Dob in a Dodgy Operator
Australia

Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
See: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/justin-hemmes-companies-sued-after-ivy-assault-2015021...
Quote:
A young man who was bashed by bouncers at the Ivy nightclub is suing bar baron Justin Hemmes' companies for about $1 million in damages.

Nicholas Barsoum was 19 years old when he was punched, kicked, gagged, stomped on and hauled down the stairs into the fashionable club's basement in the early hours of August 28, 2011.

Four bouncers, including the second in charge of security, Menelaus Hendra, and a trained cage fighter, Emmanouil Ntaras, received jail terms of up to 27 months over the attack.
Justin Hemmes, whose companies are defending the claims.

Mr Barsoum suffered internal bleeding and serious facial injuries, including a fractured nose and a ruptured right ear drum. He has been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder and continues to experience depression, anxiety, nightmares and flashbacks.

In a statement of claim filed in the NSW Supreme Court, Mr Barsoum is seeking general damages in part to cover the medical, psychological and psychiatric treatment he has needed and will continue to need.

The 21 year old, whose degree in applied science at the University of Sydney has been interrupted since the incident, has asked the court to award compensation for both past and future loss of earning capacity and superannuation.

He is also claiming aggravated damages to compensate for his mental anguish and distress, and exemplary damages, which are awarded by a court to punish or deter a defendant from similar conduct in the future.

Mr Hemmes' company Hemmes Holdings and its subsidiary Our Security is defending the claims.

Mr Barsoum was celebrating a friend's birthday at the upmarket club when security guards threw him out following an altercation with his former girlfriend.

Shortly afterwards, just before 2am, he returned with a group of friends to confront the bouncers. CCTV footage and footage filmed on a camera phone by a witness showed a guard holding him down while other guards punched, kicked, choked and stomped on him. He was then dragged down the fire stairs to the basement, where he was made to sit on a stool while the punches and kicks continued and was told he was "going to die young".

During his trial in the Downing District Court in August 2012, Hendra admitted he did not administer first aid but kicked the injured patron because he [Hendra] had been spat on.

In a defence filed with the court, the defendants said the security guards acted in a "reasonable manner" when Mr Barsoum and his friends returned to the George Street night spot behaving in a "belligerent, abusive and aggressive" manner, including throwing witches hats and brick pavers.

Ah! Working in Security where finding the real thief could be your employer. Now is the time to check your super account.
IP Logged

Reply #31 - 06. Feb 2015 at 13:42

Administrator   Offline
Administrator
Dob in a Dodgy Operator
Australia

This Topic was moved here from General Board by Administrator.

Ah! Working in Security where finding the real thief could be your employer. Now is the time to check your super account.
IP Logged

Reply #30 - 13. Dec 2012 at 13:58

Administrator   Offline
Administrator
Dob in a Dodgy Operator
Australia

Update: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/breaking-news/ivy-bouncers-jailed-for-bashing/s...

Quote:
TWO of three bouncers who bashed a teenage patron at Sydney's Ivy nightclub have been jailed over the attack.
Access all Areas. $1 for the first 28 days. Only $2.95 a week thereafter. Learn more.

Jason Mendelow, 25, Paul Fenukitau, 43, and Emmanouil Ntaras, 32, pleaded guilty to assault occasioning bodily harm in company over the CBD attack on August 28 last year.

The victim, 19-year-old Nicholas Barsoum, was forced to the ground, kicked, punched, gagged and stomped on in the early hours of the morning, leaving him with internal bleeding and serious facial injuries.

The offenders lost their jobs and their security guard licences after the bashing.

In Sydney's Downing Centre District Court on Wednesday, Ntaras, a trained cage fighter, was sentenced to a maximum of 27 months, with a non-parole period of 14 months.

Mendelow, who admitted kicking Mr Barsoum in the head in the club's basement, was sentenced to at least a year in jail, with a maximum term of two years.

Fenukitau, a father of six, may avoid jail, with Judge Leonie Flannery sentencing him to up 22 months which he may be able to serve by way of an intensive correction order.

This can include community service, strict supervision and curfews.

He will be assessed by corrective services at a later date.

In October, a fourth bouncer found guilty of common assault, 35-year-old Menelaus Hendra, was sentenced to a maximum of 18 months in jail with a nine-month non-parole period.

In handing down the sentences, Ms Flannery said she was satisfied that all three were remorseful, had good prospects of rehabilitation and were unlikely to reoffend.

However, she said their offences were more serious than Hendra's and deserved harsher penalties.

"I'm satisfied that no penalty other than prison is appropriate," Ms Flannery told the court.

She accepted that the actions of all three were reactions to Mr Barsoum's assault of Fenukitau, and his verbal taunts against Mendelow's family, but concluded that the "emotional harm suffered by the victim was substantial".

The judge also noted that each of the bouncers had suffered various levels of depression after the incident, in particular Fenukitau, who at one point contemplated suicide.

Minutes after the sentence was handed down, Mendelow hugged his crying mother from inside the dock, telling her: "I'll be alright, mum".

His lawyer Greg Walsh told reporters that while his client was very upset about going to prison, he knew the outcome was inevitable.

"I think he is genuinely very sorry," Mr Walsh said outside court.

IP Logged

Reply #29 - 29. Aug 2012 at 17:08

ausguard   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite

IP Logged

Reply #28 - 08. Sep 2011 at 20:57

Spectre   Offline
High Level Contributor
Unarmed Security
Victoria

SecOps wrote on 08. Sep 2011 at 12:18:
You'll find that a lot of martial arts teach discipline, these guy's only use their skills in very serious situations.

I do agree that MMA is a bit different, but considering the amount of people out there in the world doing it, a few incidents isn't enough to say a lot of them are thugs.

True but it would be fair to say there are a minority of people in this industry with anger management issues Wink

"Folks who think profiling has no place in the world we live and believe that all folks have good intentions are called victims of violent crimes." - David Burnell
IP Logged

Reply #27 - 08. Sep 2011 at 20:44

MiscWorker   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite

I go to multistyle mma gym, everyone there is very respectful, polite and friendly.

I have a lot of bouncer friends, they do often talk about going to work and punching on, like its an added benefit of the job and this why I dont do it myself.

doesnt mean all like that sort of thing but it seems a good portion do, at least those I know.

IP Logged

Reply #26 - 08. Sep 2011 at 12:18

SecOps   Offline
High Level Contributor
Licensed Security Officer
NSW Australia

You'll find that a lot of martial arts teach discipline, these guy's only use their skills in very serious situations.

I do agree that MMA is a bit different, but considering the amount of people out there in the world doing it, a few incidents isn't enough to say a lot of them are thugs.

IP Logged

Reply #25 - 08. Sep 2011 at 12:17

SecOps   Offline
High Level Contributor
NSW Australia

so if the media came out and said 'a lot of security are thugs' you'd be ok with this?

IP Logged

Reply #24 - 08. Sep 2011 at 06:34

Major Function   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite
Newcastle NSW

SecOps, if you are referring to my post you better read it again. I did not say all I said a lot. Check out Jui Jitsu Kingdom webstite one of the "bouncers" is in this.
I will say again, some of the blame must stop at the management. If management did not hire unlicenced or untrained employees including over aggressive crowd controllers our industry would be a little better.

IP Logged

Reply #23 - 07. Sep 2011 at 23:53

SecOps   Offline
High Level Contributor
NSW Australia

Why whinge about people painting security guards (bouncers) all with the same brush and damaging the industry, then paint all MMA / martial artists / boxers with the same brush by saying they're all thugs who just like to hurt people?

IP Logged

Reply #22 - 07. Sep 2011 at 18:38

Major Function   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite
Newcastle NSW

A lot of fighters, MMA, boxing, kick boxing and martial arts, go into security as "Bouncers" and management choose these people to protect their property. Some of these Bouncers like to hurt people both in training and in the street. My guess is that this crew is one of them.

Some of the blame must stop at the management, wherever it occurs because they employ these people and know what they are like and what they are employed for.

One of the bouncers involved is into MMA.

IP Logged

Reply #21 - 07. Sep 2011 at 18:14

ausguard   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite

I agree management probably knew what was going on. They are now in damage control.

IP Logged

Reply #20 - 07. Sep 2011 at 01:49

MiscWorker   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite

I would be surprised if they werent doing stuff like this for a good while before this incident. I suspect this time they just went a little further than usual and got caught.

Management probably had a good idea it went on which is why they had a plan to deal with it. Tell the police the victim had left so police would leave so they would have time to clean up the basement. Doesnt strike me as typical behaviour you would expect from a management with no idea what was going on and nothing to hide.

IP Logged

Reply #19 - 06. Sep 2011 at 18:00

ausguard   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite

Exactly 5 bouncers go rouge and the rest has to suffer. I see more restrictions and more training on the horizon. Pretty soon I will be too expensive to work in the industry.

IP Logged

Reply #18 - 06. Sep 2011 at 10:47

Phil21   Offline
High Level Contributor
Crowd Controller
Brisbane

Besides frustration and anger there is not much more to say than: YOU GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!

How can it be that five guards go rouge like that, and no one, not other staff nor management (who also owns the security company) stops there or at least tries to?!

Lets keep the peace. So others may walk in peace.
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print