Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Australian Security Worker

Return to Website Recent Posts HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterBroadcast Message to Admin(s)  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
NSW Licence Renewal again........... (Read 5754 times)
Reply #11 - 17. Mar 2012 at 23:08

Spectre   Offline
High Level Contributor
Unarmed Security
Victoria

Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Sometimes it's a matter of taking what's on offer whilst looking to land that dream job...

Back on topic, SLED were fine to deal with when I applied for my iterstate ticket, no red tape just confirmation of identity and current VIC licence.

"Folks who think profiling has no place in the world we live and believe that all folks have good intentions are called victims of violent crimes." - David Burnell
IP Logged

Reply #10 - 17. Mar 2012 at 21:14

NWTR   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite

Yeah man, they suck rudest guys on earth,  few guys who i know work there and hate it, flat rate pay, company treats u like a drone.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 17. Mar 2012 at 14:59

GeorgeK   Offline
Medium Level Contributor
Workers Unite

Hi NWTR. NSW, Sydney metro. Im in the south, so thinking of trying airport. Worried screening might be boring though.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 17. Mar 2012 at 09:04

NWTR   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite

What state are you in georgek?  Im tryign to get my own thing up and running, looking at a big job now will be good if i can land it.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 14. Mar 2012 at 23:28

ausguard   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite

Sorry George. Mate you always welcome back into the industry, we need good guards. You must be good as you use this forum. Lol

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 14. Mar 2012 at 22:14

GeorgeK   Offline
Medium Level Contributor
Workers Unite

Thanks ausguard. I joined last year and posted on a few topics but left the industry when my big idea to be my own boss turned out to be not such a great idea.  Tried building work but its not for me. Thinking of a come back to guarding if i can find a good company.  Good to see u guys still fighting on. wish more would join. Security could be great industry if not for all the dodgy brothers.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 14. Mar 2012 at 09:44

ausguard   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite

Thanks George and welcome to the forum.
Though SLED might not be behind this one, i still am a firm believer that they are harming the industry.
Look forward to reading more posts.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 14. Mar 2012 at 07:15

GeorgeK   Offline
Medium Level Contributor
Workers Unite

Here's my earlier post from Feb 2011...

Hi guys. Just heard of this forum - great idea!
I had the same question a couple of years ago.  I gave the SIR hell when they sent back my application because I forgot to include my birth certificate (again).  I demanded to speak with a manager and gave him a few choice words. As it turns out the SI Act says you can't renew licences. Everyone has to apply like a first-timer every single time!  The SIR told me they've been trying to get the Act changed for years as they agree it's ridiculous and it creates a lot of extra work and complaints for them.  I told them to stop trying and start doing but supposedly Police have to request some other part of Govt to make the changes and they keep getting knocked back. The guy told me that he was looking at a scanned copy of my certficate while he was talking to me, but he couldn't take my new application unless I gave it to them again.  Lucky I still had a couple of days left on my licence, otherwise it would have cost me at least a month's work.   In the end I actually thanked the guy and said sorry!  It was obvious they cop it everyday over this issue and are just as frustrated.  Apparently they've been trying to get rid of character references too - which is another WTF!? part of the whole process.  I took 5 years this time so I won't have to worry for a few more years.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 14. Mar 2012 at 07:12

GeorgeK   Offline
Medium Level Contributor
Workers Unite

It's actually not SLED's fault (for a change). Section 24 of the SI Act says: "A licence cannot be renewed, but an application for a new licence may be made in accordance with this Act."  The Act (or Reg, I can't remember) says what must be provided with an application.  I know this only because I complained too (I replied to a post on this last year).  SLED have been trying to bring in renewals for years and get rid of character references but they don't control the Act.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 13. Mar 2012 at 17:34

NWTR   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite

Apparently each time you "renew" isnt actually a renewal at all.  Its like a fresh new application.  Our Ops manager was told this by staff at SLED on the phone.  Its a joke.  Why should i 1 year renewal have to show accreditation, referenecs, citizen ship each year, but a 5 year renewal doesnt?  Whose to say after a couple of years, the 5 year renewal guy goes troppo, yet he still has 2 -3 years left on his licence, so he doesnt need more character references, and can continue on as being "not fit and proper to hold a licence"
« Last Edit: 13. Mar 2012 at 17:36 by NWTR »  
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 13. Mar 2012 at 16:35

ausguard   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite

I know it is a complete joke. I did the one year renewl this year, and I'm regreting it already. I remember the good old days when I could walk into the cop shop, pay 35 bucks and that was it.
SLED are killing the industry.

IP Logged

13. Mar 2012 at 13:08

NWTR   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite

That time of year again, definately not going with another 1 year licence.  What a joke it is, each time we have to apply to supply another 2 character references, another birth certificate, another copy of our cert 2 certificate..............................SLED is so backwards its not funny.  If we hold a current licence, its obvious that we have done the training to get the licence in the first place, and we are obviously a citizen or permanent resident to hold the licence in the first place, that you guys issued.

God damn NSW SLED needs an overhaul.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print