Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Australian Security Worker

Return to Website Recent Posts HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterBroadcast Message to Admin(s)  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Work gear (Read 22059 times)
Reply #22 - 26. Jul 2015 at 23:17

SecurityMan   Offline
Casual Contributor
Workers Unite

Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
In the past, I either wore a jumper or a coat over my shirt to/from work on public transport or took off the shirt, folded it, put it in a backpack and wore a plain old polo shirt.

Will I intervene on public transport in matters? Yes, I have done so in the past but it depends on the scenario and how likely I can control it.
« Last Edit: 26. Jul 2015 at 23:18 by SecurityMan »  
IP Logged

Reply #21 - 06. Feb 2015 at 14:18

Administrator   Offline
Administrator
Dob in a Dodgy Operator
Australia

This Topic was moved here from General Board by Administrator.

Ah! Working in Security where finding the real thief could be your employer. Now is the time to check your super account.
IP Logged

Reply #20 - 19. Jun 2012 at 15:30

Spectre   Offline
High Level Contributor
Unarmed Security
Victoria

I imagine wearing a coat that conceals your uniform and logos is the easiest solution, otherwise if in uniform there could be a perceived public perception that we're actually "on duty" Wink

"Folks who think profiling has no place in the world we live and believe that all folks have good intentions are called victims of violent crimes." - David Burnell
IP Logged

Reply #19 - 19. Jun 2012 at 06:23

Major Function   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite
Newcastle NSW

I drive to work in my uniform, but just in case I decide to stop off somewhere on the way I home I have a plain shirt and jumper in the car to change into.

IP Logged

Reply #18 - 18. Jun 2012 at 23:28

whiteshirt   Offline
High Level Contributor

Slightly OT,but with regards to plain clothes/uniforms on public transport,I was wondering the following:
1.Does anyone keep uniforms in locker at work and change?
OR
2.Anyone just throw a coat on over uniform
OR
3. Keep the uniform on.

I was thinking today about a fight that broke out on a train,a few carriages away on a Friday night years ago.The QR Guard stopped the train,used the PA to call out for any police on train to come forward.
I waited and a very young constable went past me and said: "You coming ?" and I said no.
Seems to remind me of Good Samaritian Act and Duty of Care,Public Liability etc,etc.A few police I know
take option 1 & 2 and worry about if s@#t happens in front of them they may act then.[As well as wash their uniforms at home on weekends and dry them inside out on the line].Just after some ideas as do you think it can make you a target either as agression or if no action gets taken purely because of what you wear to work.I used option 2 most times depending on shift.
Thoughts anyone.

"Abandon all hope,ye  who enter here"
"I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6"
IP Logged

Reply #17 - 18. Jun 2012 at 16:44

Spectre   Offline
High Level Contributor
Unarmed Security
Victoria

Was the confiscated pepper spray placed separate from your duty bag items like in a marked clear seal-able bag?

I would imagine such a bag clearly marked with the details of the confiscation and in your possession until you are able to "turn it in" would be a defensible position...

"Folks who think profiling has no place in the world we live and believe that all folks have good intentions are called victims of violent crimes." - David Burnell
IP Logged

Reply #16 - 18. Jun 2012 at 06:59

guard 159   Offline
Casual Contributor
Workers Unite

Welsh wrote on 15. Jun 2012 at 07:14:
Major Function wrote on 13. Jun 2012 at 19:20:
Welsh, I hope you haven't taken some poor tourists driving licence.

I can assure you that I haven't taken some poor Gimps license, When to type it into Google and the first page that comes up in the website that sells these ID's for novelty purposes. Not to mention all that other details on the ID are bogus.

K9Unit wrote on 14. Jun 2012 at 02:56:
it in the course of duty?

I got it in the Valley I don't use it in a work / Security capacity. I keep it in my big security bag where all my bits and pieces are.

Macca wrote on 14. Jun 2012 at 08:44:
Mace if you carry the product or at any time use it, you will become unlicensed quickly.

This is probably very true, However I'm not using it in any sort of work capacity - Mearly that it's in my bag of toys.

I was working night shift a long time ago when some detectives thought I looked dodgy so came to have a "chat". on the top of my duty bag was my duty belt with cuffs and baton (legit but my bad for leaving ON bag" they used this as grounds to search my bag and found a can of pepper spray at the bottom of my bag I had taken off someone. They tried to charge me with possession of restricted weapon. They failed but it was mostly due to dumb luck.

*not arguing a point just sharing my experience

IP Logged

Reply #15 - 18. Jun 2012 at 06:54

guard 159   Offline
Casual Contributor
Workers Unite

whiteshirt wrote on 15. Jun 2012 at 09:55:
guard 159 wrote on 15. Jun 2012 at 06:54:
Phil21 wrote on 10. Jun 2012 at 12:59:
Interesting, you must have had a good supplier at some point. I like the Tripe B stuff, however I began ordering of LEgear and continued. I love the bag (I actually forgot to list it). But one question. Whats up with the security badge, I had a look at it on Triple B and was just wondering for what exactly do you use it?

Phil

Mostly for doing plain clothes work i.e. loss prevention and office buildings wearing a suit. now it's just my wallet

Just like the plain clothes LPO on A Current Affair a few weeks ago grabbing people and flashing a badge at them in the middle of a shopping centre and then asking them to return to the back of the superemarket.There seems to be a multitude of US style"tinny" shields/badges/ID's in the market place/net and they all look crap.There used to be a fellow in Burpengary who made gunsafes and also made a badge that had the outline of Australia on it and had the roo and emu on either side,with Security Officer underneath,but no Crown.Looked very much like the C of A Coat of Arms,Don't know what happened to him but.Would be nice if private industry could have a standard item in addition to uniform requirements of the company.Will be like the goalposts keep shifting.

More like a company bought them for us for when we are wearing suits at high rise buildings in the city. at the front of the belt. Might be like the police but is what was required

IP Logged

Reply #14 - 15. Jun 2012 at 14:48

whiteshirt   Offline
High Level Contributor

The Coat of Arms and Crown seem to be a common denominator here at the moment in a few odd cases.
Bit like the checkered band saga.....by lesser known evils...... Wink

IP Logged

Reply #13 - 15. Jun 2012 at 11:05

Major Function   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite
Newcastle NSW

I worked for a company called Websters which then changed to SERMACS. We had large oval badges on our uniform and badges on our hats similar to the one in the link below.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/annaaniston/79990565/

IP Logged

Reply #12 - 15. Jun 2012 at 09:55

whiteshirt   Offline
High Level Contributor

guard 159 wrote on 15. Jun 2012 at 06:54:
Interesting, you must have had a good supplier at some point. I like the Tripe B stuff, however I began ordering of LEgear and continued. I love the bag (I actually forgot to list it). But one question. Whats up with the security badge, I had a look at it on Triple B and was just wondering for what exactly do you use it?

Phil

Mostly for doing plain clothes work i.e. loss prevention and office buildings wearing a suit. now it's just my wallet

Just like the plain clothes LPO on A Current Affair a few weeks ago grabbing people and flashing a badge at them in the middle of a shopping centre and then asking them to return to the back of the superemarket.There seems to be a multitude of US style"tinny" shields/badges/ID's in the market place/net and they all look crap.There used to be a fellow in Burpengary who made gunsafes and also made a badge that had the outline of Australia on it and had the roo and emu on either side,with Security Officer underneath,but no Crown.Looked very much like the C of A Coat of Arms,Don't know what happened to him but.Would be nice if private industry could have a standard item in addition to uniform requirements of the company.Will be like the goalposts keep shifting.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 15. Jun 2012 at 07:14

Welsh   Offline
High Level Contributor
Gimp King
Brisbane

Major Function wrote on 13. Jun 2012 at 19:20:
Welsh, I hope you haven't taken some poor tourists driving licence.

I can assure you that I haven't taken some poor Gimps license, When to type it into Google and the first page that comes up in the website that sells these ID's for novelty purposes. Not to mention all that other details on the ID are bogus.

K9Unit wrote on 14. Jun 2012 at 02:56:
it in the course of duty?

I got it in the Valley I don't use it in a work / Security capacity. I keep it in my big security bag where all my bits and pieces are.

Macca wrote on 14. Jun 2012 at 08:44:
Mace if you carry the product or at any time use it, you will become unlicensed quickly.

This is probably very true, However I'm not using it in any sort of work capacity - Mearly that it's in my bag of toys.

-Welsh
IP Logged

Reply #10 - 15. Jun 2012 at 06:54

guard 159   Offline
Casual Contributor
Workers Unite

Phil

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 14. Jun 2012 at 08:44

Macca   Offline
Casual Contributor
Workers Unite

Mace if you carry the product or at any time use it, you will become unlicensed quickly. that is in queensland other states ?.
There are badges being sold out of Tasmania that look like Federal Police with crown on them, here they are frowned on by authorities. Port of Brisbane 2010
a Group 1 employee had one of these badges confiscated by Federal Police and was advised in writing by the authorities that he was liable for legal action for impersonating an Employee of The Crown.
He left and rapidly returned to Syd, outcome not known, but we were advised that no Guards were to be in possession of any such badges, that bear a crown. These are still being sold via internet sites.

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 14. Jun 2012 at 02:56

K9Unit   Offline
Casual Contributor
Workers Unite

Welsh wrote on 11. Jun 2012 at 01:25:
  • Mace (Scored that in the Valley back in 2010)

• I'm curious to know how you managed to get a license for a Category R weapon that allows you to carry (and presumably use) it in the course of duty?
    As far as I am aware the only license that enables someone to own a Category R weapon is a Collector's licence (weapons) http://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/weaponsLicensing/obtain/typesOfLicences.ht... which states that they must be "collectable weapons that have obvious and significant historic, thematic, commemorative or investment value"

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
    Send Topic Print