Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Australian Security Worker

Return to Website Recent Posts HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterBroadcast Message to Admin(s)  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Torches have advanced in the last 4 Years (Read 3950 times)
Reply #2 - 03. Nov 2014 at 21:51

dreadman   Offline
High Level Contributor
Security Service Industry
Award 2010, I cant even.

Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Hello Spectre,

Good to see another torch enthusiast here, My most crazy lumen torch to date is my Thrunite Tn30 it has 3338 lumens and got it under 130 dollars. At the moment I own 7 torches.  3 thrunites, 1 Olight, 1 Fenix,1 Armyteck, and one Nitecore.

I agree with you, run time vs out put is important. Also, the simpler the light the better. I like High, Medium, Low, Strobe.

"The opposite for courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow." - Jim Hightower
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 02. Nov 2014 at 22:40

Spectre   Offline
High Level Contributor
Unarmed Security
Victoria

I will confess to owning a substantial number of torches (or flashlights as the Americans call them), brands like Surefire (beautiful workmanship), Streamlight, Jetbeam & Klarus, I began modding Maglite hosts around 2008.

Whilst light output is important, I would equally weigh up runtime, battery support and UI (I'm not a fan of a gazillion modes).

A stripped down version of the Klarus XT11 is still my primary light with an incandescent Streamlight Scorpion for backup and a spare AW18650, in all reality I find I'm not using maximum output a whole lot despite it beating the pants off the Patrol vehicles overhead lights, low light is perfect for checking a site without wanting to advertise your presence.

I also build and collect Alternative Light Source torches as well anything other than your basic 3000~6000K emissions.
« Last Edit: 02. Nov 2014 at 23:15 by Spectre »  

"Folks who think profiling has no place in the world we live and believe that all folks have good intentions are called victims of violent crimes." - David Burnell
IP Logged

08. Oct 2014 at 22:48

dreadman   Offline
High Level Contributor
Security Service Industry
Award 2010, I cant even.

I know most people are familiar with SureFire and Wolf Eyes torches, but new Chinese brands are setting the standard.

I currently own 4, but someone sold me a bad Nitecore MH25 nightblade that had questionable workmanship, but it is getting fixed.

One great brand that I came across is Olight. I own an Olight M3X Triton version 2014. Its 1200 lumens on Turbo mode and 400 lumens on normal mode. It has only three settings, Turbo(1200 Lumens) and it stays in that output for 15 minutes then drops to 800 lumes, then normal(400 lumes) mode that lasts for 4.5 hours and strobe.

I have a Thrunite TN11s. High is 830 Lumens,  Mid is about 42 lumens and low 9.4 lumens. At first this was my favorite light. Then I noticed that it would flicker once in a while and the batteries would rattle. It has a stainless steel strike bezel. It was only 30$ with shipping.

The one that I carry with me when doing patrols is my Thrunie Tn12 version 2014. The mode switch is separate from the power switch. It has 6 modes. Turbo(1050 Lumes) High(800) Med(280) low(20) firefly mode(.3 lumens) and strobe. All these lights use cr123A batteries or 18650 batteries. I prefer the 18650 batteries they are cheaper in the long run. In Bunnings, the cr123a batteries cost 10 dollars each, but have a shell life of 10 years.

If you are curious, check out candlepowerforums, these guys a torch lights crazy and can answer any question you have. Also, if the torch exists, they have a review on it. Then there is the budgetlightforums which review and talk about cheap chinese knock off like Ultrafire.

"The opposite for courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow." - Jim Hightower
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print