Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Australian Security Worker

Return to Website Recent Posts HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterBroadcast Message to Admin(s)  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Monitoring Centre Operator - Victoria (Read 8819 times)
Reply #11 - 13. May 2018 at 23:52

tywo   Offline
Medium Level Contributor
Workers Unite

Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
dreadman wrote on 28. May 2015 at 12:29:

this does not work

IP Logged

Reply #10 - 13. Jun 2015 at 19:39

Donald Raggs   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite
USA

Training is required if you want guard license. You can get license after training from security provider company.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 02. Jun 2015 at 18:14

Welsh   Offline
High Level Contributor
Gimp King
Brisbane

dreadman wrote on 01. Jun 2015 at 19:45:
I did my control room/monitor room in five 8 hour days. If you have not done further education training, you can get subsidies to do this cert.

What the actual F*&K - a whole week just for control room ?

You don't even need the units in QLD anymore, Just tick the box and pay more money, Which I find a total joke and does make it look like the Security industry is nothing more than a Cash Cow to the Qld Government.

-Welsh
IP Logged

Reply #8 - 01. Jun 2015 at 19:45

dreadman   Offline
High Level Contributor
Security Service Industry
Award 2010, I cant even.

Hey Mate,

All potential guards need complete a cert ii in security operations to get their license. You can get the unarmed guard cert, you do not need crowd controller, but usually they provide both. I did my accreditation for the control room/Monitor center. Some RTO offer these as a package.

I did my control room/monitor room in five 8 hour days. If you have not done further education training, you can get subsidies to do this cert.

When you call a RTO, tell them you want to get a security licence with a control room/monitor centre cert.
« Last Edit: 01. Jun 2015 at 19:46 by dreadman »  

"The opposite for courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow." - Jim Hightower
IP Logged

Reply #7 - 01. Jun 2015 at 08:59

Shocker   Offline
New Contributor
Workers Unite

I know I require a licence to work there, but which one?

From police.vic.gov.au/content.asp?Document_ID=12824#1
Do I have to complete any training when applying for a security licence?
To hold a Private Security Individual Operator Licence for one or more of the following activities - unarmed guard, armed guard, cash in transit, control room operator, monitoring centre operator, crowd controller, guard with a dog, bodyguard or investigator - you are required to undertake specific training competencies relevant to the activity being applied for.

What I cannot seem to get an answer to anywhere is can I just get a Monitoring Centre Operator licence (CERTIFICATE II - MONITORING CENTRE OPERATOR) when there is no training required or do I need to get CERTIFICATE II - UNARMED GUARD?

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 31. May 2015 at 19:06

dreadman   Offline
High Level Contributor
Award 2010, I cant even.

Quote:
There are also specific security guard activities as listed in the Act. These are:

Armed guard
Unarmed guard
Guard with a dog
Cash-in-transit guard
Control room operator
Monitoring centre operator

Note that Monitoring, and Control Room Operator are security guard activities which require a licence.

Companies that hold a private security business registration will also need a private security business licence if:

They engage the services of other companies to perform monitoring for them (sub-contracting other licensed private security businesses);
They are receiving an on-going commission or on-going payments for the monitoring/control room activity (even if the activity is provided by another company).

Note, it is an offence to advertise or indicate the performing of monitoring activities if the person/business does not hold a private security business/individual operator licence.

Source:http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.asp?Document_ID=12824#1

« Last Edit: 31. May 2015 at 19:11 by dreadman »  

"The opposite for courage is not cowardice, it is conformity. Even a dead fish can go with the flow." - Jim Hightower
IP Logged

Reply #5 - 31. May 2015 at 16:19

Shocker   Offline
New Contributor
Workers Unite

Based on what I've found at the above link, there is no course available for a Monitoring Centre Operator.

CERTIFICATE II - MONITORING CENTRE OPERATOR
No Training Required

I've rang a couple of the training providers and they are under the assumption that as there's no training available, the only way to get certified is to do the CERTIFICATE II - UNARMED GUARD
« Last Edit: 01. Jun 2015 at 08:52 by Shocker »  
IP Logged

Reply #4 - 28. May 2015 at 12:29

dreadman   Offline
High Level Contributor
Award 2010, I cant even.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 28. May 2015 at 08:33

Shocker   Offline
New Contributor
Workers Unite

I've already been offered a job in a monitoring centre in Melbourne. As I do not have any sort of security licence I was wondering if what I've been told by the boss was actually true as they don't seem to know if fully either. They've said I'll only need a monitoring centre licence which I'll only need to fill in some forms and pay the fee for as I've already been working there under supervision while being trained.
« Last Edit: 31. May 2015 at 16:20 by Shocker »  
IP Logged

Reply #2 - 24. May 2015 at 14:46

Welsh   Offline
High Level Contributor
Gimp King
Brisbane

dreadman wrote on 21. May 2015 at 14:11:
  Your best bet to find out this info is to call your local Registered Training Organisation.

Beg to differ an RTO is just going to try and sell you crap, In QLD you can apply for Monitoring which is what you need for this job role without having to do the regular security course. The OFT dumped the requirement to do the training units calling them outdated and generally a waste of time as they had more to do with Building Management Systems than Control room monitoring.

As for monitoring work, There isn't alot of it to begin with, So unless you have some connection you may be waiting a very long time before you manage to score a job.

-Welsh
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 21. May 2015 at 14:11

dreadman   Offline
High Level Contributor
Award 2010, I cant even.

Your best bet to find out this info is to call your local Registered Training Organisation. If you are planning to work for a security company as Monitoring Centre operator, then yes, you do need a security licence.
« Last Edit: 21. May 2015 at 14:19 by dreadman »  

IP Logged

21. May 2015 at 10:07

Shocker   Offline
New Contributor
Workers Unite

Hi. I do not have any sort of security licence and am looking at starting to work in a monitoring centre. What licence will I be required to obtain?
I have been told that I may be able to get a Monitoring Centre Operator Licence without having to actually get a security guard licence first.
Is this correct??

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print