Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Australian Security Worker

Return to Website Recent Posts HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterBroadcast Message to Admin(s)  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
OHS (Read 9960 times)
Reply #6 - 08. Oct 2017 at 20:20

Major Function   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite
Newcastle NSW

Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
I am standing down from the OHS committee after being on it over 12 months.

My biggest problem was not management but the chairperson. He wanted to control everything that I did. I could not chase up any safety matters without first going through him and then he wanted to have a separate meeting outside of the OHS meeting to decide what to do. He stopped more things than he fixed.

I wanted SOPs introduce but the OHS manager didn't and our chairperson supported the OHS manager. Just recently we had discussions with out National manager and he is in favour of SOPs so guess what, so is our chairperson but he is not calling them SOPs he called them "one pagers".

Good luck to our next OHS member.

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 23. Feb 2017 at 22:52

Major Function   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite
Newcastle NSW

We have over 70 employees in our company. It is hard to understand but how people can run into fences, trees and posts and then not say anything which gets the next person who drives the vehicle into trouble but the company gets the vehicles fixed.
Our 1st Aid kits keep getting stolen from the vehicles by the security guards. As an OHS person I can't stand this yet the company keeps replacing them.
The company I work for, although I can find faults with them, is pretty good to word for.

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 23. Feb 2017 at 15:00

tits_mcgee   Offline
New Contributor
Workers Unite

I'd love to know what company in Newcastle actually fixes their vehicles, we're based out of Beresfield and our shits falling apart, with no intention of fixing it. Good for you, more people need to be proactive about WHS.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 09. Feb 2017 at 18:27

Major Function   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite
Newcastle NSW

Things are progressing at our site. We are now electing Safety Representatives who can attend our safety meetings, and we are also electing a union co delegate.

Our site manager, who unfortunately is standing down due to health reason is the only person who has given 'toolbox talks'. I hope he passes his wisedom on to the next bloke.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 25. May 2016 at 21:31

warchild   Offline
New Contributor
Workers Unite

I held toolbox meetings and staff had a prestart card to complete every shift but this still didn't prevent so called dumb accidents happening especially for such a low to no physical excursion job I was forever in safety circle meetings with our high profile client trying to answer impossible questions with no sane answers good luck mate.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 25. May 2016 at 20:57

johnnorton   Offline
New Contributor
Workers Unite

If you want to work in ohs, you must have suitable education, because this work is very responsible. In work place the most important is workers safety.

IP Logged

15. May 2016 at 19:46

Major Function   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite
Newcastle NSW

I have recently been elected to our OHS committee. The committee was formed late 2015 so has not been going for long.
My goal is to have written safe work procedure introduce. Unfortunately this is both good and bad. If the guards don't follow the procedures they can get into trouble but the good side is for example a patrol car has damaged lights or other issues the guard don't have to drive them.
Five months ago when a member (not me) of the committee wanted to check the SOPs he could not find them as they had been removed from the office for 'updating'.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print