Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Australian Security Worker

Return to Website Recent Posts HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterBroadcast Message to Admin(s)  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Training in a patrol car (Read 1044 times)
Reply #5 - 30. Jul 2016 at 09:20

Administrator   Offline
Administrator
Dob in a Dodgy Operator
Australia

Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
wetears

You have to ask yourself why this run became available. What did the last patrolie die of? Security companies undercut each other in price without any consideration whether their workforce can safely complete the task. If the run is marginally profitable for the company then they expect the impossible.

If you have voice recording on your mobile, my advice is to verbally record data point info for a site and any other information. Listening can be done while driving an walking rather than time taken for reading.

In your own time do your route in daylight hours. You will recognize any relevant landmarks and this is a guide to alert you to going off track. Lost time trying to get on the route after being lost is wasted time.

Believe me you will be breaking the speed limit. Reserve this act to areas where there is the least chance of being caught. Do not speed on major thoroughfares and around pubs.

If your trainer skips meal breaks then this is an indication that the run is time restrictive and it is an indication to seriously consider whether you want this job.

Ah! Working in Security where finding the real thief could be your employer. Now is the time to check your super account.
IP Logged

Reply #4 - 29. Jul 2016 at 23:26

Major Function   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite
Newcastle NSW

W, 100 site/visits in 10 hours is 6 minutes per site. That includes travel time. Is this typical, well it depends on how close each site is to another. If you thinks its OK then there should be almost no trouble.
Employers know whether what they are asking is doable or not. If its not doable they probably won't hassle you but they will have some must check sites (good clients).

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 29. Jul 2016 at 18:33

wetears   Offline
New Contributor
Workers Unite

Thanks for your advice Major. Ive started a run sheet based on the route I've been taken and I'm going to do as you suggest and look up the addresses in the phone book so I can use a map if cant get my bearings. I've noted down details of each site as well (ie keys,data points etc). There is approx 100 sites I need to visit in 10 hours...does that sound typical?

And no, I certainly don't want to speed in this job. I want to be thorough and safe. And that is what I want to convey to my employer more so than assuring him I'll get it done in the allotted time which at this stage seems to me to be unrealistic. I do like the job, the night shift work will probably take time to get used to but I dont want to skip breaks like the guy training me is doing. safe and thorough, that's what i want to offer... dont get me wrong though: I wont drive like a grandma and stop to smell the roses (only on a break) but rather stick to the speed limit and be alert and aware. does this sound like i'm on the right track?

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 26. Jul 2016 at 23:48

Major Function   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite
Newcastle NSW

Wetears, I should add don't speed if you don't have to.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - 26. Jul 2016 at 23:45

Major Function   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite
Newcastle NSW

Wetears, unsure about a phone app but ask for a run sheet or draw one up yourself. I was in a similar position to you but the company I worked for had nothing just a list of names and the security guard I worked with showed me where to go.
I ended up getting a phone book and looked up the names of the business and then wrote my own run sheet.
On a 10 hour shift the first complete check with no misses took 4 hours then I had to add another 1 hour onto this because 1 client wanted a guard at their site for 1 hour.
Three rotations were required in 10 hours.
I would occasionally leave the run sheet in the car so the manager would see that I was unable to complete the run but he didn't say anything.
The patrol was in the Nelson Bay area just north of Newcastle, 6 days a week and I enjoyed it.

IP Logged

26. Jul 2016 at 06:00

wetears   Offline
New Contributor
Workers Unite

hello there.

I'm new to patrol work (in training) and trying to figure out how best to learn the route. I'm a little on the daunted side with things like:
Getting my bearings at night in new areas (industrial areas)
hitting all the data points
and making a deadline without driving like a maniac

i'm wondering if there is some kind of app out there in which i can easily document/note down each site with key number, number of data points, and even drop a location pin on a map as well. Maybe I'm in fantasy land. but i think it would help me when eventually i'm out alone.

my reasons for thinking of an app is that my phone is backlit. I tried a note pad but it was all so fast paced, dark and I was getting thrown about with the driving.

any way I'm pretty zonked from it but keen to get it right...

any advice is appreciated

thank you in advance

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print