Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Australian Security Worker

Return to Website Recent Posts HomeHelpSearchLoginRegisterBroadcast Message to Admin(s)  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Wake up phone calls (Read 15400 times)
Reply #13 - 23. Oct 2016 at 19:52

Insecurity   Offline
New Contributor
Workers Unite
Melbourne

Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Wished I'd joined the union, maybe they could have helped, too late now.

Fair Work website says only after 6 months employment can you claim unfair dismissal.
« Last Edit: 25. Oct 2016 at 18:00 by Insecurity »  
IP Logged

Reply #12 - 23. Oct 2016 at 07:57

Major Function   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite
Newcastle NSW

Have you contact the union or Fair Work over this.

IP Logged

Reply #11 - 22. Oct 2016 at 11:51

Insecurity   Offline
New Contributor
Workers Unite
Melbourne

Anyone want to know the end result?
I resisted the phone calls, and they sacked me.
I am now unemployed.
« Last Edit: 22. Oct 2016 at 21:34 by Insecurity »  
IP Logged

Reply #10 - 09. Sep 2016 at 10:48

Major Function   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite
Newcastle NSW

If you have a mobile just turn it off, why when you are trying to sleep do you need it on. If you have a landline, like me, just disconnect it.

What is the industry norm, guards not showing up or getting a phone call to reminder you you have to work.

Where I work the rosters werecontinually changing (day to day) so one day I got a phone call on my landline (ie house phone) and the dill I spoke to asked where I was. For F sake I am at home, you just rang me. I wonder why we think our Leadinghands and Supervisors are stupid, industry norm I suspect.

IP Logged

Reply #9 - 08. Sep 2016 at 21:41

bman01   Offline
Casual Contributor
Workers Unite

I'm asleep.  I have an alarm clock that wakes me up.  If some bastard calls me to remind me of a shift starting, then they will see a side of me that they will not like.  Industry norm? bullshit I say!  We must band together to stop this insidious practice and put these companies on notice.  A union for security guards by security guards!

IP Logged

Reply #8 - 22. Aug 2016 at 03:54

Insecurity   Offline
New Contributor
Workers Unite
Melbourne

Loki wrote on 19. Aug 2016 at 19:42:
This is an unfortunate norm in the Security Industry. Guards not showing up for shifts and not letting their employer know. This creates all kinds of hassles and client deliverables not being met.

Understood. If they can't measure up, get rid of them.

Quote:
There is nothing stopping your employer doing this.

Hmmm, not sure about that, I would love to have the resources to legally challenge it.

Can anyone name another industry where these wake-up calls are the norm?
I'd wager if there is one, and if they are unionised, they are paid to take the calls.

Quote:
By calling you 1.5hrs prior to the shift starting they give themselves 1.5hrs head start if you're not going to show up.

Agreed, but I already had an obligation to call them within x hours of my shift commencing, and it's longer than 1.5 hrs...

Quote:
Get angry with your work mates for making this a thing.

I don't have any contact with the 'offenders'. If it was a close workmate then I'd have a quiet word with him about teamwork, etc.

Insecurity wrote on 13. Aug 2016 at 11:31:
No compensation.

Quote:
You want to get paid to answer a phone call now?!

Yes, why not? Let's do some maths...

eg. Get paid for 15 mins x 5 = 75 mins per week.
That's 300 mins (5 hours) per month.
60 hours a year - a week and a half's pay!

That's about a grand extra a year for me. I'll take the calls for that.
Otherwise, I say trust me and treat me with some professional respect.
And let my two alarms wake me at my usual time.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - 22. Aug 2016 at 03:25

Insecurity   Offline
New Contributor
Workers Unite
Melbourne

Bear wrote on 21. Aug 2016 at 17:22:
Hi All
These wake up calls are bullshit . They are more akin to a form of invasion of privacy .

Yep, the point I tried to make, their attitude was like it or lump it.

Quote:
If the pay and conditions were any good , and you getting treated like a human being not some type of modern day slave , then I believe you would turn up to work or at the very least give plenty of notice that you couldn't turn up for the shift.

Pay is cr*p but conditions good. My attendance outstanding.

Quote:
As for these type of calls being a norm for the security industry ask yourselves why are you guys letting this happen . Tell your bosses or (Masters) to BACK OFF !!!!!!!!

A few have 'told them' from what I hear, and have left. Most have accepted it to keep their jobs.

But so far, no other respondents to the thread have experienced these calls, so let's see who else comes forward.

IP Logged

Reply #6 - 21. Aug 2016 at 17:22

Bear   Offline
Casual Contributor
Workers Unite

Hi All
These wake up calls are bullshit . They are more akin to a form of invasion of privacy . If the pay and conditions were any good , and you getting treated like a human being not some type of modern day slave , then I believe you would turn up to work or at the very least give plenty of notice that you couldn't turn up for the shift. As for these type of calls being a norm for the security industry ask yourselves why are you guys letting this happen . Tell your bosses or (Masters) to BACK OFF !!!!!!!!

IP Logged

Reply #5 - 19. Aug 2016 at 19:42

Loki   Offline
High Level Contributor
Part of the Solution
Newcastle

This is an unfortunate norm in the Security Industry. Guards not showing up for shifts and not letting their employer know. This creates all kinds of hassles and client deliverables not being met.

There is nothing stopping your employer doing this.

By calling you 1.5hrs prior to the shift starting they give themselves 1.5hrs head start if you're not going to show up.

Get angry with your work mates for making this a thing.

Insecurity wrote on 13. Aug 2016 at 11:31:
No compensation.

You want to get paid to answer a phone call now?!

IP Logged

Reply #4 - 14. Aug 2016 at 13:49

Major Function   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite
Newcastle NSW

That's not on. Ask them not to call you and if they refuse turn your phone off so they can't contact you.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - 13. Aug 2016 at 11:31

Insecurity   Offline
New Contributor
Workers Unite
Melbourne

Welsh wrote on 12. Aug 2016 at 22:49:
Insecurity wrote on 10. Aug 2016 at 21:02:
My employer has begun 'cold calls' at 0500 to all morning shift guards to wake them up. I was told this is becoming an industry norm. Anyone else getting calls from work? What are your feelings on this?

As they've been on nightshift or to ensure they're going to start morning shift>?

To ensure they're going to start morning shift. To wake people up 1.5 hours before their shift starts. No compensation.

IP Logged

Reply #2 - 12. Aug 2016 at 22:49

Welsh   Offline
High Level Contributor
Gimp King
Brisbane

Insecurity wrote on 10. Aug 2016 at 21:02:
My employer has begun 'cold calls' at 0500 to all morning shift guards to wake them up. I was told this is becoming an industry norm. Anyone else getting calls from work? What are your feelings on this?

As they've been on nightshift or to ensure they're going to start morning shift>?

-Welsh
IP Logged

Reply #1 - 12. Aug 2016 at 22:34

Major Function   Offline
High Level Contributor
Workers Unite
Newcastle NSW

I would like to see regular welfare checks (not wake up calls). I have patrolled industrial estates, holiday caravan parks and boat marinas, all these sites have either high value property or easy accessible property but I was never contacted by my employer to see if I was OK.
Large national companies with 24hr call centres can do this and it is probably their standard proceedure.

IP Logged

10. Aug 2016 at 21:02

Insecurity   Offline
New Contributor
Workers Unite
Melbourne

« Last Edit: 10. Aug 2016 at 21:03 by Insecurity »  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print